GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flower identification ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/147835-flower-identification.html)

Andy Cap 18-07-2006 06:01 PM

Flower identification ?

Hi

Could someone kindly let me know the name of this flower.

http://www.postmaster.co.uk/fs/brigh...ic/Flower1.JPG

TIA Andy

Charlie Pridham 19-07-2006 07:55 AM

Flower identification ?

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
Hi

Could someone kindly let me know the name of this flower.

http://www.postmaster.co.uk/fs/brigh...ic/Flower1.JPG

TIA Andy

Its Tritilaria (check spelling!) formally brodia (I think also spelt wrong)
usually found in the named form Queen Fabiola

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Andy Cap 19-07-2006 08:17 AM

Flower identification ?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:55:11 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

Could someone kindly let me know the name of this flower.

http://www.postmaster.co.uk/fs/brigh...ic/Flower1.JPG

TIA Andy

Its Tritilaria (check spelling!) formally brodia (I think also spelt wrong)
usually found in the named form Queen Fabiola

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

Following your pointer, I've discovered that it is Brodiaea laxa, formerly
Triteleia laxa. ;-) It's also known in different places as

Grassnut; aka:
Blue Brodiaea, Bloomeria,
Fool's Onion,
Ithuriel's spear,
Long Rayed Triteleia,
Pretty Face,
Starflower,
Triplet Lily, or
Wild Hyacinth

It's basically a dry conditions, high temperature loving plant, that very
delicate and so unfortunately not suitable for my garden.

Cheers Andy

K 19-07-2006 09:06 AM

Flower identification ?

JennyC writes

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
.. .
Hi

Could someone kindly let me know the name of this flower.

http://www.postmaster.co.uk/fs/brigh...ic/Flower1.JPG
TIA Andy

Campanula ?

Campanulas have 5 petals - this seems to have 6
--
Kay

Philippe Gautier 19-07-2006 09:19 AM

Flower identification ?

Andy Cap wrote:

It's basically a dry conditions, high temperature loving plant, that very
delicate and so unfortunately not suitable for my garden.

Cheers Andy

I have some living happily in my garden in Edinburgh (although in a
relativeley sunny hot bed).
Philippe

Charlie Pridham 19-07-2006 01:21 PM

Flower identification ?

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 07:55:11 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

"Andy Cap" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Well I would say its tough as old boots and will grow equally well in shade
or sun but does like good drainage, bulbs are very cheap, its gone native in
parts down here as it was grown for the cut flower trade by the field load.