GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water butts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/147951-re-water-butts.html)

Chris Hogg 21-07-2006 10:35 PM

water butts

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 22:23:18 GMT, wrote:

Hello,

I was looking at the Sankey water butts in B&Q. How easy are these to
connect to each other? The edges do seem to have a slight curve near
the bottom.

What about the blackwell butts from the water companies; how easy are
they to connect? They don't seem to have straight sides either!

Thanks.

Don't know the Sankey or Blackwell butts, but I imagine most butts
have a curve at the bottom, i.e. not quite vertical, for
design/strength reasons. Mine certainly have. But the butt connectors
kits supplied usually come with a bit of 'concertina pipe' (or
whatever it's called, similar to the overflow pipe at the back of
domestic sinks and wash basins), which is quite flexible.

But you do have to make sure you don't cut the hole in the butt right
at the bottom. Mine are a few cm up, to allow for the slightly
downward-pointing spout onto which the flexible pipe is attached. I
sealed mine with silicone and clamped the pipe with jubilee clips
before refilling with water, just to ensure it was watertight.

--
Chris