GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   water butts and rain savers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148005-re-water-butts-rain-savers.html)

MadCow 23-07-2006 04:05 PM

water butts and rain savers

In message ,
writes

Are these rain water diverters that attach your water butt to a drain
pipe any good?

Mine works now that I've refitted it in the right place.

The diverter needs to be level with the highest water surface you want
in the butt, not 18" above the butt where most people seem to put them!
They have an extra virtue: they don't require a hole in the cover over
your butt, so you don't get mosquitoes breeding in the water.

I can see they would be good in light rain, but wouldn't they get
overwhelmed in heavy rain?

Unless you've got a large roof area feeding a chain of several butts,
this is not a problem. A storm heavy enough to overwhelm the diverter
will fill one butt to overflowing anyaway.

Also, what if there is a junction in the drain pipe above? Would the
water fall from the junction at an angle and free fall rather than go
down the side of the pipe into the rain saver?

A production engineer tells me that if you've found a way to get liquids
to fall down a pipe without touching the sides you should contact her
immediately and not talk about it in the meantime.
(ie, in practice this is not a problem)

--
Sue ];(:)