Old 13-04-2003, 06:57 PM
John Moran

Default Where to buy magnolia trees in hampshire

Hi

Can anyone recommend a garden centre or nursery
near the A3 that sells good magnolia tree specimens?

Thanks in advance

John

Old 14-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Serena Blanchflower

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:58:26 +0100, "John Moran"
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a garden centre or nursery
near the A3 that sells good magnolia tree specimens?

You could try Keydell in Horndean. It's a few years since I've been
there but they used to be excellent and, from what I hear, nothing much
has changed. I can't remember if that's where my magnolia came from but
other plants I got there are thriving.

--
Cheers, Serena

Where nothing is sure, everything is possible (Margaret Drabble)
Old 14-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Andrew Thomson

"Serena Blanchflower" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Can anyone recommend a garden centre or nursery
near the A3 that sells good magnolia tree specimens?

You could try Keydell in Horndean. It's a few years since I've been
there but they used to be excellent and, from what I hear, nothing much
has changed. I can't remember if that's where my magnolia came from but
other plants I got there are thriving.

--
Cheers, Serena

Where nothing is sure, everything is possible (Margaret Drabble)

Brambridge Park Garden Centre, nr Eastleigh (jn 12 on the M3)

Old 15-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Tarapia Tapioco

"John Moran" wrote in message
Hi

Can anyone recommend a garden centre or nursery
near the A3 that sells good magnolia tree specimens?

Thanks in advance

John

I just bought an excellent specimen of a Magnolia Grandiflora from
Silversprings Nursery. Silversprings is in Titchfield, off the A27 (Jn 9
of M27). They do a wide selection of plants, shrubs, trees etc. and are a
quality supplier. I know that some local landscapers use them a lot.

Take Jn9 of M27 onto A27 towards Titchfield. At the bottom of a steep hill
there is a pub on the left called Titchfield Mill. Turn left here and
follow this road. Silversprings is on the right just before Garsons Garden
Centre, about 1.5 miles from the junction.

Our 8 foot specimen was 230 quid which I didn't think was too bad. No
doubt I might have found a cheaper price but the quality was very good.

Cheers,
Pete.

Old 15-04-2003, 02:20 AM
pete

NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

Old 15-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Mike

In article , Serena
Blanchflower writes
On 15 Apr 2003 01:09:08 -0000, (pete)
wrote:

I just bought an excellent specimen of a Magnolia Grandiflora from
Silversprings Nursery. Silversprings is in Titchfield, off the A27 (Jn 9
of M27). They do a wide selection of plants, shrubs, trees etc. and are a
quality supplier. I know that some local landscapers use them a lot.

Did you happen to notice what wheelchair access is like there? The most
likely problem at a nursery is a rough or loose ground surface. I'm
hoping that a friend will be taking me plant hunting in the next few
weeks and we would probably have gone to Garsons but, if access isn't a
problem, it sounds as though it could be worth giving Silversprings a
look.

Serena, someone has already recommended Brambridge Park Garden Centre,
nr Eastleigh (jn 12 on the M3).

Very good place. Disabled parking right alongside the main door and A1
for wheelchairs.

Very good cafe there as well. Go on a sunny day and make the day of it
:-))

What do I know about it? Been dragged round there just a few times :-))
My daughter and son in law have a house near there.

Mike

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 16-04-2003, 04:44 AM
pete

wrote:

I just bought an excellent specimen of a Magnolia Grandiflora from
Silversprings Nursery. Silversprings is in Titchfield, off the A27 (Jn 9
of M27). They do a wide selection of plants, shrubs, trees etc. and are a
quality supplier. I know that some local landscapers use them a lot.

Did you happen to notice what wheelchair access is like there? The most
likely problem at a nursery is a rough or loose ground surface. I'm
hoping that a friend will be taking me plant hunting in the next few
weeks and we would probably have gone to Garsons but, if access isn't a
problem, it sounds as though it could be worth giving Silversprings a
look.

--
Cheers, Serena

Where nothing is sure, everything is possible (Margaret Drabble)

Unfortunately there is a lot of gravel around. There is a "proper" garden
centre in the complex with all the indoor stuff and you shouldn't have any
trouble getting around that, but the outdoors is gravelled. I must admit I
was there earlier this week and had difficulty pushing a low-level trolley
around the place with 2 bags of cocoa shell in due to the loose gravel :-(

On the plus side, I don't remember there being any steps anywhere. And if
you can't get on at Silversprings, then Garsons is literally across the
road. IIRC Garsons also has a lift to the upstairs section where the
garden furniture and restaurant is..... so you should be able to get round
most if not all of it.

HTH.
Cheers,
Pete.