Old 13-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Carl Inglis

Default Daffs in a newly rented property.

We've recently moved into a new (to us) property in Lincs. The previous
tenant (or possibly the owner) has planted daffodils in some of the
beds. Whilst they have flowered and look pretty; they aren't really
where I want them. The question, therefore, is:

At what stage can I dig up the bulbs and replant them where I want them?

The flowers on most of them are just dying back now.

Actually, while I think about it, can someone answer the same question
with regard to tulips (in another bed)??

Thanks in advance,

Carl
--
"..as to who I am now, if you're prompted to ask: I'm the ghost of my
future and the sum of my past."
Old 13-04-2003, 07:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

If you want the text book answer you should wait at least 6 weeks for the
top to grow back, and so that you do not disturb the roots and therefore the
storing up of energy for next season. I would dig them up with a fork
though, with a big dollop of earth on the end and plonk them right where you
want them

The Devil's Advocate I only set the stage, you pull your own strings

:

Old 14-04-2003, 01:09 PM
Carl Inglis

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 18:25:40 +0000 (UTC), The Devil's Advocate
wrote:
If you want the text book answer you should wait at least 6 weeks for the
top to grow back, and so that you do not disturb the roots and therefore the
storing up of energy for next season. I would dig them up with a fork
though, with a big dollop of earth on the end and plonk them right where you
want them

snip

Thanks for that. I'll prepare the bed they are going into, then do as
you advise.

Carl
Old 14-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Simon Avery

Carl Inglis wrote:

Hello Carl

Funny who turns up in Usenet, ain't it?

CI We've recently moved into a new (to us) property in Lincs.
CI The previous tenant (or possibly the owner) has planted
CI daffodils in some of the beds. Whilst they have flowered and
CI look pretty; they aren't really where I want them. The
CI question, therefore, is:
CI At what stage can I dig up the bulbs and replant them where
CI I want them?

When the stems and leaves have lost their moisture, turning brown. By
then the daff has had its fling and stored enough energy to stick
their heads up next year.

CI Actually, while I think about it, can someone answer the
CI same question with regard to tulips (in another bed)??

Same with all bulbs, as far as I know. They rely on stored energy to
put out enough leaves to generate more energy. Then they flower, seed
and go dormant until next year. You can move them safely in the
dormant period.

In reality I've moved a lot of daffs this year which had leaves and
some in flower. A good watering in and they carried on as if nothing
happened. (I needed to remove the flowerbeds they were in)

Hope you're both well.

Old 14-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Carl Inglis

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:36:02 GMT, Simon Avery
wrote:
Carl Inglis wrote:

Hello Carl

Funny who turns up in Usenet, ain't it?

'ello Simon! It is indeed! :-)

snip

CI Actually, while I think about it, can someone answer the
CI same question with regard to tulips (in another bed)??

Same with all bulbs, as far as I know. They rely on stored energy to
put out enough leaves to generate more energy. Then they flower, seed
and go dormant until next year. You can move them safely in the
dormant period.

That's great. We plan to be here for a couple of years at least, and
that makes it worth doing what needs doing to make it look the way we
want it to.

In reality I've moved a lot of daffs this year which had leaves and
some in flower. A good watering in and they carried on as if nothing
happened. (I needed to remove the flowerbeds they were in)

That's also worth knowing. I don't think I'm going to need to do anything
quite that drastic (the previous tenant seemed to be of the "don't change
it" school wrt the garden).

Hope you're both well.

Not too bad thanks - Helen is a little under the weather at the moment -
she's picked up a tummy bug from somewhere, and I've still got the heart
condition, but we're doing OK.

And you?

Carl