GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cucumbers (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148060-cucumbers.html)

TMC 25-07-2006 09:09 AM

Cucumbers

Hi

New to group so sorry if this is a regular question

First year with greenhouse

I have a very active cucumber plant in my greenhouse but the cucumbers are
bitter for more than half of their length

I am growing it in a large pot of multipurpose compost with John Innes and
watering regularly

I have regularly removed the male flowers

I have tried picking when fruit is large and smooth and also when a bit
under size and still spikey problem is the same

Recently I had a shop bought one that was bitter for its top third

What am I doing wrong?

I am on the verge of pulling it out to allow more space for my chilli pepper
plants which are doing better than expected

Regards

Tony

Sacha[_1_] 27-07-2006 03:39 PM

Cucumbers

On 25/7/06 09:09, in article , "TMC"
wrote:

Hi

New to group so sorry if this is a regular question

First year with greenhouse

I have a very active cucumber plant in my greenhouse but the cucumbers are
bitter for more than half of their length

I am growing it in a large pot of multipurpose compost with John Innes and
watering regularly

I have regularly removed the male flowers

snip

My husband used to crow cukes commercially, so I asked him about this. He
says it's usually lack of water or irregular watering that makes them
bitter. So whatever you've been giving them, they obviously need more!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk