Old 28-07-2006, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wot, no beans!

I was interested to read in the letters page of my daily newspaper today
that this year, runner beans are flowering but not setting beans. That has
been the case with the correspondent and his friends in different parts of
the country. Earlier this year all my runner beans were systematically
beheaded, one after the other, before they even had a chance of starting to
climb the bean poles and flower. At first, I suspected our three resident
wood pigeons, but on reflection thought that they would have eaten the
plants and not left them lying beside the stalks. Undaunted, I sowed a fresh
crop. However, they too went the same way. After some detective work, I
found that snails were the culprits, and what a lot I've got!

MikeCT

Old 28-07-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message
:I was interested to read in the letters page of my daily newspaper today
: that this year, runner beans are flowering but not setting beans. That has
: been the case with the correspondent and his friends in different parts of
: the country. Earlier this year all my runner beans were systematically
: beheaded, one after the other, before they even had a chance of starting
: climb the bean poles and flower. At first, I suspected our three resident
: wood pigeons, but on reflection thought that they would have eaten the
: plants and not left them lying beside the stalks. Undaunted, I sowed a
fresh
: crop. However, they too went the same way. After some detective work, I
: found that snails were the culprits, and what a lot I've got!
:
: MikeCT
:
I would not think of planting anything of that nature without putting a few
slug pellets around. Beans are well in excess here, if you lived locally you
could have a carrier bag full too

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Wot no flowers? Tim United Kingdom 1 29-03-2009 05:07 PM
Prunus Triloba: Brown Bread or Wot? Astral Voyager United Kingdom 0 24-06-2008 09:49 PM
These fingers aint wot the used to be Broadback United Kingdom 2 13-07-2004 01:03 AM
Greenhouse - wot now? Andrew J Instone-Cowie United Kingdom 7 05-08-2003 10:12 PM