Old 31-07-2006, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

"Vivek.M" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 18:29:58 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:
"Boosters are given to adults in the form of the tetanus and
diphtheria vaccine every 10 years. "

No adults in the UK get, or require, booster vaccinations against
diptheria; because it died out here decades ago. In other countries, or
climates, that may not be the case. When are you going to understand,
that health or gardening advice VARIES according to local circumstances.
What is appropriate for America, may be completely inappropriate in
India , or Britain.

Janet: "Boosters are given to adults in the form of the tetanus and
diphtheria vaccine every 10 years" I was quoteing from the web site
page, therefore i didn't edit out the diphtheria bit..What i meant was
that i'd tell Mr.Cormaic to include stuff on Tetanus. Diphtheria would
have no releavance to gardening anyway..

That may be true for the country you live in but not in the UK.

Anyway, i dislike the constant reminders and the whole thing isn't
worth it so i'll quit URG/RG completely.

Good!

The tech channels are a lot
more comfortable. It would make more sense to edit your charter and
knock out the "around the globe" bit.

Then why don't you stay there instaed of irritating people with your know
all?

Alan

Old 31-07-2006, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vivek.M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Janet - has it possibly occurred to you, that it's people like you who
create the trolls in a NG. Tetanus is a UK relevant topic - that's
something you don't want to grasp; I suppose that's because you don't
want me here. Well you should SAY SO in no un-certain terms, in your
charter, instead of leading a fellow on! I wouldn't have joined URG if
i thought i was un-welcome and barring a bunch of nice people on this
NG, i find my-self most un-welcome with almost anything i say being
interpreted/mis-interpreted as off-topic merely because i don't happen
to sit in the UK. Madam, i find your behaviour remarkably weird and
don't propose to post to this NG anymore.

As I've said in another post, good, but as has been carefully explained to
you, but you refuse to accept it, tetanus is not a great problem in this
country.

Alan

Goodbye.

Old 31-07-2006, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Vivek.M" wrote in message
oups.com...
Janet - has it possibly occurred to you, that it's people like you who
create the trolls in a NG. Tetanus is a UK relevant topic - that's
something you don't want to grasp; I suppose that's because you don't
want me here. Well you should SAY SO in no un-certain terms, in your
charter, instead of leading a fellow on! I wouldn't have joined URG if
i thought i was un-welcome and barring a bunch of nice people on this
NG, i find my-self most un-welcome with almost anything i say being
interpreted/mis-interpreted as off-topic merely because i don't happen
to sit in the UK. Madam, i find your behaviour remarkably weird and
don't propose to post to this NG anymore.
Goodbye.

Janet, I don't find you weird in any way and hadn't noticed you leading
anyone on. He should be so lucky :-)

Damn, I had hoped to find someone as weird as me, I'll just have to keep
looking!

Alan

Mary

Old 01-08-2006, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

No, it doesn't. It says that the spores are found in those

locations,
and NOT that it reproduces in those locations.

Since the spores are still in the UK (as they are worldwide), it

is
immaterial whether the spores reproduce in the gut of mammals or

not.

The most likely source of infection for gardeners would in all
likelihood be from a wound sustained whilst gardening and such a

wound
could give acess to the spores. I doubt whether too many

gardeners
ingest a lot of soil and so don't need to worry about the

reproduction
or otherwise of tetanus spores in their gut..

My granny used to say, you have to eat a peck of dirt before you

die, so
people were expected to ingest soil.

Tough Granny. Did she give it to you in the form of sandwichs?

Old 01-08-2006, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vivek.M" wrote in message

Janet - has it possibly occurred to you, that it's people like you

who
create the trolls in a NG. Tetanus is a UK relevant topic - that's
something you don't want to grasp; I suppose that's because you

don't
want me here.

Rather than getting upset at the reaction here, you should perhaps
reflect on the fact that your posts in other gardening groups were
received well and appreciated.

If some of the posters on this NG sometimes show remarkable
similarities to the character that Maggie Smith plays in the movie
"Tea with Mussolini" then so be it. Stephen Fry will hopefully find
NGs one day and have a field day with the material they offer.

Old 01-08-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

I don't wannaknow.

Bye ...

Old 01-08-2006, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Vivek.M wrote:
Janet - has it possibly occurred to you, that it's people like you who
create the trolls in a NG. Tetanus is a UK relevant topic - that's
something you don't want to grasp; I suppose that's because you don't
want me here. [...]

Now, now, Vivek! We have a strong tradition of discussion here -- just
like any other NG. That means if we disagree, we say so. That's what
makes it interesting, and that's how we learn.

One of the things we've been discussing as a result of your enquiries
is how very different the conditions are in India and the UK. That's
interesting, and as a new gardener you should find it helpful. But you
won't be agreed with all the time.

--
Mike.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message

I don't wannaknow.

Well that's been quite obvious throughout this thread.

Old 03-08-2006, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vivek.M" wrote in message

Janet - has it possibly occurred to you, that it's people like you

who
create the trolls in a NG. Tetanus is a UK relevant topic - that's
something you don't want to grasp; I suppose that's because you

don't
want me here.

Rather than getting upset at the reaction here, you should perhaps
reflect on the fact that your posts in other gardening groups were
received well and appreciated.

Which other gardening groups are those, just so I can avoid them?

Alan

Old 03-08-2006, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Vivek.M" wrote in message

Janet - has it possibly occurred to you, that it's people like

you
who
create the trolls in a NG. Tetanus is a UK relevant topic -

that's
something you don't want to grasp; I suppose that's because you

don't
want me here.

Rather than getting upset at the reaction here, you should perhaps
reflect on the fact that your posts in other gardening groups were
received well and appreciated.

Which other gardening groups are those, just so I can avoid them?

It's probably for the best ifyou confine yourself to this group.
Other gardening groups would probably consider it to be very bad
manners to wish death on a fellow poster.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC BAC is offline

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

snip

It's probably for the best ifyou confine yourself to this group.
Other gardening groups would probably consider it to be very bad
manners to wish death on a fellow poster.

?? I haven't seen any deathwish post from Alan Holmes.

I think I saw a rash of posts from him wishing some (cross)posters would
'FOAD'. It must be that Mole Valley don't sell traps large enough for those
particular objects of his ire :-)

Old 04-08-2006, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
news

"Vivek.M" wrote in message
[...]

This is all very interesting and I'm pleased to be learning something
from more knowledgeable people than I. But I don't understand why in the
last 55 years I have been given 4 tetanus jabs, the first in the RAF and
the last one 2 days ago for a broken and lacerated finger mashed up
uprooting a tree.
The local A+E doctor, an experienced mature bloke, gave me a right
ticking off for not having had a booster in the last 17 years !!!
Hey, who am I to disagree.

Old 05-08-2006, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p. pleater" typed

This is all very interesting and I'm pleased to be learning something
from more knowledgeable people than I. But I don't understand why in the
last 55 years I have been given 4 tetanus jabs, the first in the RAF and
the last one 2 days ago for a broken and lacerated finger mashed up
uprooting a tree.
The local A+E doctor, an experienced mature bloke, gave me a right
ticking off for not having had a booster in the last 17 years !!!
Hey, who am I to disagree.

I've come to this thread rather late and missed the OP.

The current thinking is that 5 injections of tetanus toxoid gives
lifelong immunity. Boosters are recommended for tetanus-prone wounds and
possibly for travel in areas where getting a booster may be difficult in
the event of injury.

Personally, I have had more than five injections of toxoid, but the last
was in 1988.

I arranged to have a booster prior to my trip to Libya earlier this
year, but the surgery had none in stock on the day I came for my
booster.

I see no reason to arrange to have one now.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

I noticed all his begging posts to other gardening groups were
universally ignored.

I was referring to his tetanus posts here and on other ngs not any
begging posts.

His tetanus posts were well recieved in other groups and the posters
there seems to find them to be interesting and replied concerning
their own experiences (a ssome did here too).

I found it an interesting topic because a) I don't know my current
status re innoculations but since I had a quick trip to the A&E a few
years ago after an accident to the finger tip with my router I assume
I may have been given a jab (but at the time I was so freaked by the
blood that I don"t recall) I'll ask next time I go to the quack. And
b) I use copious quantities of horse manure and am in constant and
frequent contact with it. You I'm sure know of the situation with
horses and tetanus - one of the worst farm animals for it because of
the shoeing. Since I don't know the incidence rates of tetanus in
humans, I did a real hunt. It's rare but it does still happen and
primarily to older gardeners [female in the case of the UK] (plus
those heroin addicts). And c) I spin and since I am currently
spinning a filthy fleece in the grease so that Himself has a
replacement for a 30 year old greasy wool jumper. Tetanus injections
are an itneresting topic to both spinners and gardeners.

Vivek was given many courteous and helpful answers to gardening
questions on this group, by myself and others. He has also emailed

me
privately, more than once, with screeds of additional questions

which I
also answered for him politely and helpfully. So, don't fall for his
troll lie that I, or anyone else, made him unwelcome here. The

opposite
was the case, his "naive schoolboy gardener" act earned particular
tolerance and forbearance in this group until he got bored,

overplayed
his hand in this thread and let the cat out of the bag.

Which is fine if you think he's trolling but certainly that is not the
case with some of the respondents here and it is a topic I (and
certainly others) found of interest. If you want to tell him to go to
hell then that is your decision, but not all readers saw his posts in
that way. He took umbrage and that is his right too.
Which other gardening groups are those, just so I can avoid

them?

It's probably for the best ifyou confine yourself to this group.
Other gardening groups would probably consider it to be very bad
manners to wish death on a fellow poster.

?? I haven't seen any deathwish post from Alan Holmes.

You must have missed it, but I guess we coud be pedantic about it and
call it a mere "deathhope" rather than a "deathwish". Either way it
doesn't sound good for the health of another person who has been a
regular poster in this group. See below:

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
"Brian" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:36:57 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

I haven't seen his name for some time ...

Mary

Hopefully, he's dead.

I hope the same of you!

But I always found him to be helpful and would always give a

sensible answer
to any query if it was within his knowledge.

Alan

OT Tetanus jabs Sacha United Kingdom 122 12-02-2007 05:09 PM
Tetanus Shots - Important ! Vivek.M Gardening 19 21-08-2006 09:13 PM
Important please read this Thank you `°º·...·º°`°º·...·º°`°º·.?..·º°`°º·...· Wysong *~ Gardening 0 06-05-2005 06:43 AM
Good years - bad years [email protected] Edible Gardening 1 16-06-2003 12:44 AM
Good years - bad years [email protected] Gardening 1 16-06-2003 12:44 AM