Old 09-08-2006, 03:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tetanus every 5-10 years - Please Read - Important!

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
snp

:-)) Well I'd agree about the first two but after gardening for

30
years or more and still classing myself as very much a "Learner",

I'll
continue to give him a chance to improve in the latter category.

I'm
always amazed at how much I can still learn form other gardeners,

from
evey garden I visit or every gardening publication I pick up.

My husband, who has been in the business or associated with it for

60 years,
says that an old gardener once told him to listen to the old chaps

when they
start apparently rambling on about 'the old days'. He said that

every now
and again you'll pick up some little gem of information that you

didn't know
before and that will make your patience worthwhile. Ray says he's

found
that to be true time after time. The placing of a stone slab

beneath an
apple tree when planting it was just one, but I doubt anyone does

that now!

Yes. I'd have to agree. It always make me think of the old military
adage of "time spent in reconaissance is never wasted."

But to that rock under the apple tree - do you put it under the tree
as it's being planted or once it's been planteed as a form of mulch to
prevent drying out. If it's under the newly planted tree, is its aim
to spread the roots or???????

Old 09-08-2006, 03:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
from "Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow contains these words:

after gardening for 30
years or more and still classing myself as very much a "Learner",

I'll
continue to give him a chance to improve in the latter category.

No worries, Fran. Whatever you don't know about plants and

gardening in
your own back yard, Virek will be happy to instruct you.

Mieow!

Old 09-08-2006, 04:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

What is not so acceptable on ngs is reposting a whole post to

whcih
you are then only going to add a short comment.

And not being able to spell a word like whcih!

Shame on you!

Well I think I'd rather be called a poor speller than a pedant.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

What is not so acceptable on ngs is reposting a whole post to

whcih
you are then only going to add a short comment.

And not being able to spell a word like whcih!

Shame on you!

Well I think I'd rather be called a poor speller than a pedant.

Sorry it's all my fault.
Eye ama piedantick pour spella.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to (Nick Maclaren) :

and none were based on a controlled experiment;

you might just have trouble getting a controlled scenario through an ethics
committee.
--
Tim C.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/8/06 02:56, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:
snip

Yes. I'd have to agree. It always make me think of the old military
adage of "time spent in reconaissance is never wasted."

But to that rock under the apple tree - do you put it under the tree
as it's being planted or once it's been planteed as a form of mulch to
prevent drying out. If it's under the newly planted tree, is its aim
to spread the roots or???????

AIUI, you put the stone under the tree when planting - in the bottom of the
hole, IOW. I would imagine it must be of a size that would allow the roots
to go over the edge and spread outwards into the soil. The stone's job is
to stop the roots just going straight down. If you think of the size of
canopy of some apple trees, it makes sense.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 10-08-2006, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote in
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

What is not so acceptable on ngs is reposting a whole post to

whcih
you are then only going to add a short comment.

And not being able to spell a word like whcih!

Shame on you!

Well I think I'd rather be called a poor speller than a pedant.

Sorry it's all my fault.
Eye ama piedantick pour spella.

:-)) And I can't type and never bother with my spull chucker.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

But to that rock under the apple tree - do you put it under the

tree

AIUI, you put the stone under the tree when planting - in the bottom

of the
hole, IOW. I would imagine it must be of a size that would allow

the roots
to go over the edge and spread outwards into the soil. The stone's

job is
to stop the roots just going straight down. If you think of the

size of
canopy of some apple trees, it makes sense.

Thank you. It does indeed make sense. Must try it next tiem I plant
an apple tree.

OT Tetanus jabs Sacha United Kingdom 122 12-02-2007 05:09 PM
Tetanus Shots - Important ! Vivek.M Gardening 19 21-08-2006 09:13 PM
Important please read this Thank you `°º·...·º°`°º·...·º°`°º·.?..·º°`°º·...· Wysong *~ Gardening 0 06-05-2005 06:43 AM
Good years - bad years [email protected] Edible Gardening 1 16-06-2003 12:44 AM
Good years - bad years [email protected] Gardening 1 16-06-2003 12:44 AM