GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice on shredders, please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148221-advice-shredders-please.html)

Bob Williams 30-07-2006 12:23 PM

Advice on shredders, please

We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that are
constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a shredder,
obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with some woody
branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or two seasons.
Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

--
Bob

Rhiannon S 30-07-2006 12:33 PM

Advice on shredders, please

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that are
constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a shredder,
obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with some woody
branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or two seasons.
Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Yes, don't use it before 8am!

David Rance 30-07-2006 12:37 PM

Advice on shredders, please

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 Bob Williams wrote:
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that are
constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a shredder,
obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with some woody
branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or two seasons.
Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Viking "quiet" shredder.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Bob Williams 30-07-2006 01:01 PM

Advice on shredders, please

David Rance wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 Bob Williams wrote:
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that are
constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a shredder,
obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with some woody
branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or two seasons.
Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Viking "quiet" shredder.

David

Thanks. Prices range from £185 to £625. Time to break open the piggy bank ;)

--
Bob

SuSE Linux 10.1, KDE 3.5.1

Bob Williams 30-07-2006 01:02 PM

Advice on shredders, please

Rhiannon S wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote in message
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that are
constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a shredder,
obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with some woody
branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or two seasons.
Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Yes, don't use it before 8am!

As if I would! :)

--
Bob

SuSE Linux 10.1, KDE 3.5.1

Sla#s[_1_] 30-07-2006 06:17 PM

Advice on shredders, please

Bob Williams wrote:
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that are
constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a shredder,
obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with some woody
branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or two seasons.
Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

AlKo Silent power - had it about five years.
I fill five compost bins a year.
Replaced the nylon roller last year when it stopped fully cutting
through small twigs. Otherwise no problems.
Very quite running.
Cuts branches up to about 1 1/4". The only thing it doesn't like is
hawthorn.

Slatts

Sue[_3_] 30-07-2006 08:10 PM

Advice on shredders, please

"Sla#s" wrote
Bob Williams wrote:
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that
are constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a
shredder, obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with
some woody branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or
two seasons. Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

AlKo Silent power - had it about five years.
I fill five compost bins a year.
Replaced the nylon roller last year when it stopped fully cutting
through small twigs. Otherwise no problems.
Very quite running.
Cuts branches up to about 1 1/4". The only thing it doesn't like is
hawthorn.

Seconded! Brilliant machines. Mine's also several years old now, but has
just steadily crunched its way through everything up to 45mm diameter,
twigs and leaves as well, from a mature sycamore which had to be
removed. Lovely large binful of compostable chippings now heating up
well.

--
Sue

Charlie Pridham 31-07-2006 11:30 AM

Advice on shredders, please

Rhiannon S wrote:
"Bob Williams" wrote in message
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that are
constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a shredder,
obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with some woody
branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or two seasons.
Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Yes, don't use it before 8am!

As if I would! :)

--
Bob

SuSE Linux 10.1, KDE 3.5.1

If you buy a Bosch 2200 you could use it any time they are very quiet!
brilliant machine, copes with our 1 acre quite happily, had it 3 years now
and no sign of deterioration in performance - and no I don't have shares nor
do we sell them!!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

David \(in Normandy\)[_1_] 31-07-2006 12:34 PM

Advice on shredders, please

Avoid the cheap Black and Deckers like the plague! Mine was hopeless and
always got jammed. In the end I threw it away (after only a couple of
months) I spent more time un-jamming it than using it. In retrospect I wish
I'd taken it back to the Homebase and tried to get my money back on the
basis that it wasn't fit for purpose.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Josie 31-07-2006 10:49 PM

Advice on shredders, please

Message from Charlie Pridham on Mon, 31
Jul 2006 11:30:29 Advice on shredders, please:

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
. ..

\
"Bob Williams" wrote in message
We have quite a large garden, with a lot of hedges, and areas that are
constantly invaded by brambles. We are thinking of getting a shredder,
obviously needs to be fairly powerful and able to cope with some woody
branches, etc., but also needs to last more than one or two seasons.
Storage space is not a problem.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

If you buy a Bosch 2200 you could use it any time they are very quiet!
brilliant machine, copes with our 1 acre quite happily, had it 3 years now
and no sign of deterioration in performance - and no I don't have shares nor
do we sell them!!

I corroborate that about the Bosch 2200. It's a great machine ... copes
with most tasks.

Joe