GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Budlea - Is it Me Or..... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148262-budlea-me.html)

TheScullster 31-07-2006 01:12 PM

Budlea - Is it Me Or.....

Hi all

We have a budlea in our front garden and can see two more from the window.
Ours particularly seems to be flourishing in this hot weather.
Also have loads of butterflys, which I believe are peacocks and painted
ladies.

So, Is it Me Or are budleas doing particularly well this year?
Also is this down to the hot dry weather?

TIA

Phil

Robert[_2_] 31-07-2006 04:47 PM

Budlea - Is it Me Or.....

"TheScullster" wrote in message
: Hi all
:
: We have a budlea in our front garden and can see two more from the window.
: Ours particularly seems to be flourishing in this hot weather.
: Also have loads of butterflys, which I believe are peacocks and painted
: ladies.
:
: So, Is it Me Or are budleas doing particularly well this year?
: Also is this down to the hot dry weather?
:
: TIA
:
:
: Phil
May have helped but they always seem to do well whatever the weather here

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Cat(h) 31-07-2006 04:53 PM

Budlea - Is it Me Or.....

TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

We have a budlea in our front garden and can see two more from the window.
Ours particularly seems to be flourishing in this hot weather.
Also have loads of butterflys, which I believe are peacocks and painted
ladies.

So, Is it Me Or are budleas doing particularly well this year?
Also is this down to the hot dry weather?

TIA

Phil#

You see them growing in the most unlikely places, including on the side
of buildings, or out of roof gutters, etc. I remember talking to a
builder once, who told me how if you pulled one out, you could follow
its roots all around huge areas of the building, finding it up every
hole, nook and cranny.
My guess is that they have amazing root networks particularly well
geared to finding moisture, no matter how deep or how far they need to
go for it.
Mine (only 2 1/2 years old) is disappointingly low on flowers this
year, but something tells me it may be because I should have pruned it
last year - but didn't.
The neighbour's are obscenely showy.

Cat(h)

Androo 01-08-2006 02:49 PM

Budlea - Is it Me Or.....

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all
We have a budlea in our front garden and can see two more from the window.
Ours particularly seems to be flourishing in this hot weather.
Also have loads of butterflys, which I believe are peacocks and painted
ladies.
So, Is it Me Or are budleas doing particularly well this year?
Also is this down to the hot dry weather?

Mine is certainly VERY happy this year, and I see them on a disused platform
at a railway station I pass through every day, growing in the cracks.

Androo

Klara 02-08-2006 08:41 AM

Budlea - Is it Me Or.....

In message , Androo
writes
"TheScullster" wrote in message
Hi all
We have a budlea in our front garden and can see two more from the window.
Ours particularly seems to be flourishing in this hot weather.
Also have loads of butterflys, which I believe are peacocks and painted
ladies.
So, Is it Me Or are budleas doing particularly well this year?
Also is this down to the hot dry weather?

Mine is certainly VERY happy this year, and I see them on a disused platform
at a railway station I pass through every day, growing in the cracks.

Androo

Went to London from Gatwick on the train last weekend - and I was sure I
have never seen them flowering quite this enthusiastically!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin