Old 01-08-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Naturalising crocuses in a lawn

I'd like to naturalise crocuses in a lawn. Could anybody advise me how
many bulbs per square meter do I need?

Thanks.

Alla.
Old 01-08-2006, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Alla Bezroutchko wrote:
I'd like to naturalise crocuses in a lawn. Could anybody advise me how
many bulbs per square meter do I need?

My experience has always been "more than I can afford this year". Say,
a hundred per sq m, slightly grouped, if you want a strong effect from
the start. I say "slightly grouped" because they look more natural that
way, and because I like uneven groups of separate colours, overlapping
a bit. If you prefer a multi-coloured pointilliste effect, you'll
probably get mixed bulbs cheaper than as separate varieties; but I
wouldn't spread those too evenly, either.

--
Mike.

Old 01-08-2006, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1/8/06 14:39, in article , "Alla
Bezroutchko" wrote:

I'd like to naturalise crocuses in a lawn. Could anybody advise me how
many bulbs per square meter do I need?

100 to 150. The best way to create a naturalised effect is to throw
handfuls of bulbs onto the area you want to plant and then plant them where
they fall. I've known people go to the extent of turning their back on the
planting site and throwing the bulbs over their shoulder to make sure they
weren't 'influenced' by where they saw them fall!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-08-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/8/06 10:45, in article , "Alla
Bezroutchko" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 1/8/06 14:39, in article , "Alla
Bezroutchko" wrote:

I'd like to naturalise crocuses in a lawn. Could anybody advise me how
many bulbs per square meter do I need?

100 to 150. The best way to create a naturalised effect is to throw
handfuls of bulbs onto the area you want to plant and then plant them where
they fall.

Thanks Mike and Sacha. Now I need to measure that lawn...

Alla.

Just pace it out, assuming roughly one metre to one giant stride! Most
people keep one area of lawn for naturalising and leave the rest free of
bulbs. This is simply because you can't cut the lawn until about 6 weeks
have passed after the flowers die off. A lot of people don't like to leave
their lawn that shaggy just at the time of year it's starting to grow. We
have our naturalised bulbs under a big old cedar at the very bottom of the
main lawn and even though the daffs have some disease that stops them from
doing well, cyclamen, crocuses and bluebells all look really lovely there.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:
Alla Bezroutchko wrote:

I'd like to naturalise crocuses in a lawn. Could anybody advise me how
many bulbs per square meter do I need?

My experience has always been "more than I can afford this year".

That's what I thought after I measured the lawn and multiplied it by the
price of 100 bulbs. Then I found a Dutch grower who sells bulbs
wholesale around 5 times cheaper and delivers to Belgium (where I am). I
guess you might find bulbs wholesale in UK as well.

Any tips on how to plant 4000 crocus bulbs without breaking my back?

Alla.

Old 04-08-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4/8/06 10:40, in article , "Alla
Bezroutchko" wrote:

Mike Lyle wrote:
Alla Bezroutchko wrote:

I'd like to naturalise crocuses in a lawn. Could anybody advise me how
many bulbs per square meter do I need?

My experience has always been "more than I can afford this year".

That's what I thought after I measured the lawn and multiplied it by the
price of 100 bulbs. Then I found a Dutch grower who sells bulbs
wholesale around 5 times cheaper and delivers to Belgium (where I am). I
guess you might find bulbs wholesale in UK as well.

We get ours from van Tubergen and have always been very satisfied with their
product and service.

Any tips on how to plant 4000 crocus bulbs without breaking my back?

Alla.

Child labour laws prevent the obvious suggestion. But you could try
bribery! ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 04-08-2006, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote:

Alla, note what Sacha said earlier: if you fill the whole lawn with
spring bulbs, you're committed to not cutting the grass till the
summer, and it can look awful. It's usually best to have your
naturalised bulbs in their own areas, both for tidiness after flowering
and to preserve a more natural look.

I understood that crocuses will flower in February-March and I have to
wait 6 weeks before mowing. That means first mowing in May. Am I mistaken?

A good tip for lawns: if for any reason (not just naturalised plants:
time pressure, even a severe attack of laziness) you can't mow the
whole thing properly, at least do the edges, especially those nearest
to where people walk. That makes it look deliberate, not like a
failure. If you decide to manage it this way, of course it will mean no
crocuses at the edges.

Sounds like a good idea. I can leave a strip of lawn without crocuses
and mow it to make the whole thing look a bit tidier.

I have roses growing next to this bit of lawn. It is ground cover bright
pink The Fairy roses. The roses start flowering in mid June, so I was
thinking about planting some early flowering clematis in between them to
add some interest after crocuses are finished and roses haven't
started. Also to distract attention from unmown lawn. The flowering
time should be April-May. Is it a sensible idea? What sort of clematis
should I use?

Alla

Naturalising Crocus in lawns coykiesaol Lawns 0 15-03-2011 03:14 AM
Crocuses on lawn Shelley Gardening 13 23-03-2004 12:42 AM
Crocuses crocuses crocuses paghat Gardening 5 12-02-2004 03:12 AM
Crocuses!! MadGardener Gardening 20 02-03-2003 12:39 PM
Why are My Crocuses growing ? Kate Morgan United Kingdom 0 28-09-2002 10:33 PM