GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Just a thought re pic posting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148316-just-thought-re-pic-posting.html)

Sacha[_1_] 02-08-2006 12:12 AM

Just a thought re pic posting

A past member of urg called in today - I think he still looks in
occasionally - and we had a bit of a chat. He remarked that one thing he
likes about the group he most frequents now is that it is permissible to
post pictures. His comment is that as most people now have broadband it
could be/should be possible to allow this group to take them, too.
I thought it would be worth canvassing opinion on this. I wonder what most
people feel about being able to post and view pics directly on the group?
Would it inconvenience many people or please and help even more?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

michael adams[_1_] 02-08-2006 12:53 AM

"Sacha" wrote in message
A past member of urg called in today - I think he still looks in
occasionally - and we had a bit of a chat. He remarked that one thing he
likes about the group he most frequents now is that it is permissible to
post pictures. His comment is that as most people now have broadband it
could be/should be possible to allow this group to take them, too.
I thought it would be worth canvassing opinion on this. I wonder what

most
people feel about being able to post and view pics directly on the group?
Would it inconvenience many people or please and help even more?

I think you must be referring to binaries. Which are very large
picture files in text format, which require extra (free) software to
download and display. Many Newsgroups apart from the dedicated binary
groups won't accept binaries as they consume too much space in the
NewsGroup caches on the servers. Newsgroups which are carried for
free and which are stil growing in number every day. While even as
far as binary newsgroups themselves are concerned, most NewsServers,
News.Individual included, won't carry them for similar reasons but
only carry text groups. While NewsServers which carry binary groups
are usually more expensive.

In any case, pictures can be easily downloaded to sites such as

http://tinypic.com/

for free.

michael adams

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
(email address on website)

Mike 02-08-2006 07:40 AM

"Sacha" wrote in message
A past member of urg called in today - I think he still looks in
occasionally - and we had a bit of a chat. He remarked that one thing he
likes about the group he most frequents now is that it is permissible to
post pictures. His comment is that as most people now have broadband it
could be/should be possible to allow this group to take them, too.
I thought it would be worth canvassing opinion on this. I wonder what

most
people feel about being able to post and view pics directly on the group?
Would it inconvenience many people or please and help even more?
--
Sacha
South Devon
(email address on website)

Read the charter

Why should "YOU" decide to change it?

NO

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

K 02-08-2006 08:06 AM

Just a thought re pic posting

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

His comment is that as most people now have broadband

Do they? Anyone have any evidence ?

Figures are being widely quoted in the press that over 50% of people
have broadband. That's not evidence, I know. And it leaves a sizeable
minority without.

Mike makes the point that if we accept binaries, it may lead urg to be
kept on fewer servers and therefore become less available. That seems to
me a good argument for not accepting binaries
--
Kay

Sacha[_1_] 02-08-2006 08:09 AM

Just a thought re pic posting

On 2/8/06 01:37, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

snip?

We've all seen what verbal trash trolls post here. Now imagine what
unlimited picture trash they could pester the group with. No thanks,
I'll happily forgo seeing Rupert and the goat in the shower :-)

Very true. I hadn't considered that aspect of it when we were talking about
it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha[_1_] 02-08-2006 08:28 AM

Just a thought re pic posting

On 2/8/06 08:06, in article , "K"
wrote:

Janet Baraclough writes
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

His comment is that as most people now have broadband

Do they? Anyone have any evidence ?

Figures are being widely quoted in the press that over 50% of people
have broadband. That's not evidence, I know. And it leaves a sizeable
minority without.

Mike makes the point that if we accept binaries, it may lead urg to be
kept on fewer servers and therefore become less available. That seems to
me a good argument for not accepting binaries

It's obviously a non-starter and also for the very good reason that Janet
gave of the troll types. I just thought this man made a very good point
that it would be interesting to posters to be able to see and comment
directly on the many "What is this plant?" questions urg gets. I imagine
the group he posts to mostly must be a moderated one, though.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Mary Fisher 02-08-2006 09:28 AM

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

We've all seen what verbal trash trolls post here. Now imagine what
unlimited picture trash they could pester the group with. No thanks,

I agree 100%

I'll happily forgo seeing Rupert and the goat in the shower :-)

There are groups for such things, I've been told ...

Mary

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 02-08-2006 10:09 AM

Just a thought re pic posting

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

A past member of urg called in today - I think he still looks in
occasionally - and we had a bit of a chat. He remarked that one thing he
likes about the group he most frequents now is that it is permissible to
post pictures.

Is that a usenet binary group, or something like gardenbanter? (which
does allow picture uploads to the (monitored and filtered) website)

His comment is that as most people now have broadband

Do they? Anyone have any evidence ?

it
could be/should be possible to allow this group to take them, too.

AFAIK. not within its current ("uk") text-only hierarchy. It would
mean an RFD to set up a new gardening group in the alt.binaries
sub-hierarchy. (I thought there already is one?) My newsreader doesn't
support binary groups and neither do many others (regardless of whether
their clients have broadband)

I thought it would be worth canvassing opinion on this. I wonder what
most
people feel about being able to post and view pics directly on the group?
Would it inconvenience many people or please and help even more?

We've all seen what verbal trash trolls post here. Now imagine what
unlimited picture trash they could pester the group with. No thanks,
I'll happily forgo seeing Rupert and the goat in the shower :-)

Janet

Agreed. Perhaps it's best that you never see my Amorphophallus.
Goats in the plumbing can have spectacular results.
Pics would not worry me too much but the thought of live webcam shows..

Peter Stockdale 02-08-2006 10:18 AM

"Mike" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Don't forget that there is always alt.binaries.pictures.gardens which is
available on most binary carrying newsservers.(incl. bt)
A posting here could reference a photo there, for those who cannot cope
with posting with a url reference.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Alan Holmes[_1_] 02-08-2006 02:43 PM

Just a thought re pic posting

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 2/8/06 01:37, in article ,
"Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

snip?

We've all seen what verbal trash trolls post here. Now imagine what
unlimited picture trash they could pester the group with. No thanks,
I'll happily forgo seeing Rupert and the goat in the shower :-)

Very true. I hadn't considered that aspect of it when we were talking
about
it!

You mean you don't want to see Rupert and the goat, in or out of the shower?

That is not very nice!

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Alan Holmes[_1_] 02-08-2006 02:45 PM

Just a thought re pic posting

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message

We've all seen what verbal trash trolls post here. Now imagine what
unlimited picture trash they could pester the group with. No thanks,

I agree 100%

I'll happily forgo seeing Rupert and the goat in the shower :-)

There are groups for such things, I've been told ...

And, I have been under the impression that some isps have a system where
each subscriber has his/her own web page, where such things could be
displayed.

And, yes I'm against it as well.

Alan

Mary

Alan Holmes[_1_] 02-08-2006 02:47 PM

"Mike" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
A past member of urg called in today - I think he still looks in
occasionally - and we had a bit of a chat. He remarked that one thing he
likes about the group he most frequents now is that it is permissible to
post pictures. His comment is that as most people now have broadband it
could be/should be possible to allow this group to take them, too.
I thought it would be worth canvassing opinion on this. I wonder what

most
people feel about being able to post and view pics directly on the group?
Would it inconvenience many people or please and help even more?
--
Sacha
South Devon
(email address on website)

Read the charter

Why should "YOU" decide to change it?

She has not decided to change it, please read the posts properly BEFORE
commenting, it makes you look as much as an ass as you are.

Alan

NO

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Sacha[_1_] 02-08-2006 03:35 PM

Just a thought re pic posting

On 2/8/06 14:43, in article ,
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 2/8/06 01:37, in article ,
"Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

snip?

We've all seen what verbal trash trolls post here. Now imagine what
unlimited picture trash they could pester the group with. No thanks,
I'll happily forgo seeing Rupert and the goat in the shower :-)

Very true. I hadn't considered that aspect of it when we were talking
about
it!

You mean you don't want to see Rupert and the goat, in or out of the shower?

Butt no. ;-)

That is not very nice!

And there we must differ!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Schrodinger's cat 02-08-2006 05:53 PM

Just a thought re pic posting

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Sacha contains these words:

SNIP

His comment is that as most people now have broadband

Do they? Anyone have any evidence ?

This from 2004 -
http://technology.guardian.co.uk/onl...362704,00.html Must
have increased since then.

We've all seen what verbal trash trolls post here. Now imagine what
unlimited picture trash they could pester the group with. No thanks,
I'll happily forgo seeing Rupert and the goat in the shower :-)

Janet

Agreed - probably better if people just give a link here.

Regards

Martin

Schrodinger's cat 02-08-2006 06:09 PM

"Mike" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Mike,

Just to save me finding the charter...is there anything in it about;

Actually reading properly the post you are replying to?

Answering in a polite, considerate manner?

SHOUTING?

Sacha made a very friendly, chatty post and asked a question in an
endearingly polite way. I think it's fair to say that most people who
replied didn't like the idea of binaries being posted here (even if it were
possible). However, most of the people who replied seemed to manage to do so
without bursting a blood vessel.

That's something you may wish to reflect on.

Regards

Martin