GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fennel vulgare (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148349-fennel-vulgare.html)

Plantaganet 03-08-2006 12:02 PM

Fennel vulgare

Two Fennel vulgare plants appeared in my garden this year, presumably from seeds of plants grown by previous house owners. As I would like to keep them growing for next year and beyond, how do I treat them come this autumn? Will I need to cut the stems down to ground level whilst they are still green and before the seeds ripen? Help please!

Sacha[_1_] 03-08-2006 03:20 PM

Fennel vulgare

On 3/8/06 12:02, in article ,
"Plantaganet" wrote:

Two Fennel vulgare plants appeared in my garden this year, presumably
from seeds of plants grown by previous house owners. As I would like to
keep them growing for next year and beyond, how do I treat them come
this autumn? Will I need to cut the stems down to ground level whilst
they are still green and before the seeds ripen? Help please!

We just leave ours to die back and then tidy them up if we remember to do
so! But they do seed everywhere so if you don't want that, cut the seed
heads off just before they drop. I'd let the foliage die back naturally.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk