Old 06-08-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gladioli, crocosmia .... bulbs? what to do with them?

HI,

A friend offered me a few bulbs (Gladioli, crocosmia, mirabilis,
dahila, lilies asiatic and iris). these bulbs were not planted this
year. Can I still plant them or it is too late? my worry is that if I
do not put them in the soil they may die and if I do, it is too late
and then they may not flower next year. They are completely dry at the
moment.

Thanks.

Old 06-08-2006, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
ups.com...
: HI,
:
: A friend offered me a few bulbs (Gladioli, crocosmia, mirabilis,
: dahila, lilies asiatic and iris). these bulbs were not planted this
: year. Can I still plant them or it is too late? my worry is that if I
: do not put them in the soil they may die and if I do, it is too late
: and then they may not flower next year. They are completely dry at the
: moment.
:
: Thanks.

Depending on where you are, gladioli can stay in all year so you can put
those in right away. Dahlias are tender but we leave ours in with no adverse
effects. Perhaps with them not being established you could pot them up just
to plump them up and then let them die back with the first bit of frosty
weather and bring indoors this year to see through the winter. Lilies and
Iris can be planted, don't know about mirablis but if I were you, I'd give
back the crocosmia as it takes over.

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Crocosmia 'Lucifer' Crocosmia 'Lucifer'.JPG (0/2) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 25-07-2013 02:40 PM
Gladioli Bulbs GrowGuru Gardening 0 08-02-2011 07:06 PM
Gladioli and Asiatic Lily bulbs - Advice please Bashy United Kingdom 4 21-03-2008 09:02 AM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 04:17 PM
Gladioli in fflower Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 10:47 AM