Old 08-08-2006, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I have it , I have my allotment at last :)

days before I went on hols to (rainy) Devon I got a call saying would I
still be interested in an allotment. Well I nearly bit his hand off

It's one that's gone to weed, previous owner going through messy split
with partner !
But I've inherited Redcurrents, Apples, Pears, Cherries, Rhubarb, Mint,
Raspberries . There were some onions and potatoes in but hadn't been
looked after pulled out what I could but onions were very small.

There were so many weeds (inc the dreaded bindweed) that I've gone for
the scorched earth approach and water all but the area with the fruit
with Gliphosate and will then dig it all over once their all dead.

They are ordering in manure in a months time so hopefully I will have
it ready for the manure by then.

It is part of a bigger allotment site but on a seperate site where
there are only 5 full plots and informally looked after by a guy about
3 doors down who has already been very helpfull.

So still have some tidying up to do round the fruit

All the fruit looks untidy (not looked after) any hints on what to do
with them , pruning etc ?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 8/8/06 11:00, in article
, "Gardening_Convert"
wrote:

days before I went on hols to (rainy) Devon I got a call saying would I
still be interested in an allotment. Well I nearly bit his hand off

Hooray for you - that's really good news! But you must have gone to the
wrong bit of Devon! ;-)
Good luck with the allotment - may it prove very fruitful for you.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Actually I was near'ish to you , infact I saw a sign for hillhouse on
the way down. I was staying around East Prawl which is close'ish to
Kingsbridge. Lovely area , narrow single track roads drove me mad
though , lots of scratches on the car

Old 08-08-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
:
: days before I went on hols to (rainy) Devon I got a call saying would
: still be interested in an allotment. Well I nearly bit his hand off

:
: Hooray for you - that's really good news! But you must have gone to
the
: wrong bit of Devon! ;-)
: Good luck with the allotment - may it prove very fruitful for you.
:
: Actually I was near'ish to you , infact I saw a sign for hillhouse on
: the way down. I was staying around East Prawl which is close'ish to
: Kingsbridge. Lovely area , narrow single track roads drove me mad
: though , lots of scratches on the car
:
As to the scratches on the
: car, they're war medals round here. ;-) Our one bugbear is people who
: won't pull right in to their side of the hedge when forcing us to squeeze
: past them because they can't, or won't, back up! ;-)
: --
: Sacha
: www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
: South Devon
: (email address on website)

Good luck with the allotment. I must have blinked and missed the rain lol.
As for driving along the lanes, you should try across the border in the
forgotten corner; I'm sure they think they can drive on either side

www.rraa.moonfruit.com
:

chitting potatoes how long do last last ?? Gardening_Convert United Kingdom 4 26-04-2006 06:48 PM
New Interest Group on ICQ for Allotment Gardeners Roberto United Kingdom 0 13-04-2003 07:08 PM
Overgrown allotment? H United Kingdom 10 17-01-2003 12:27 AM
New Allotment Simon Diaz United Kingdom 6 20-12-2002 12:03 AM
Newbie - Allotment clearance Sam United Kingdom 3 27-10-2002 06:49 PM