GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what can I plant now ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148540-what-can-i-plant-now.html)

[email protected] 09-08-2006 01:20 PM

what can I plant now ?

I have recently dug up my potatoes, and have picked and chopped down my
peas. This has left plenty of space that I am keen to start making use
of again.
What can I plant now ?? When do garlic / onions go in ??

sam 09-08-2006 08:37 PM

what can I plant now ?

wrote:
I have recently dug up my potatoes, and have picked and chopped down my
peas. This has left plenty of space that I am keen to start making use
of again.
What can I plant now ?? When do garlic / onions go in ??

The old saying with garlic was "plant on the shortest day,
harvest on the longest". It's what I do and I have never had
crop failure.
Not so with over wintering onions.I planted 100 sets last autumn,
and harvested 30 onions this spring. (and they were not up to much.)
Never again!

Pam Moore 09-08-2006 09:03 PM

what can I plant now ?

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 20:37:19 +0100, sam wrote:

The old saying with garlic was "plant on the shortest day,
harvest on the longest". It's what I do and I have never had
crop failure.

I think you'll find that rule applies to shallots, not garlic, but if
it works for you, fine.
Garlic is best planted in October, which gives it a chance to get
roots down before the soil cools too much.

Pam in Bristol