Old 09-08-2006, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dwarf Olive

Hi all,
A couple of years ago I purchased a Dwarf Olive from Bakker. When it
arrived it was approximately 12" tall and a bit skinny. I've re-potted
it a couple of times and due to the weather this summer it is now just
over 3feet tall and about 24" wide. It currently lives in a big
earthenware pot with good drainage and a covering of clay balls over
the compost to stop it drying out too quickly. It has not yet produced
any fruit (I guess it is probably about 3 years old).
Unfortunately I have found very little information on what I should be
doing with the tree. Should I be pruning it, if so how severely? Ought
I put some stakes into the pot and tie the branches and train it a la
Bonsai? Should I bring her into the kitchen over the forthcoming
winter?
Any advice will be gratefully received.
Many thanks in advance
Chris

Old 18-08-2006, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 15:56:56 +0200, Martin wrote:

On 16 Aug 2006 15:07:07 -0700, "TranceDylan"
wrote:

Am I the only person in the UK with a Dwarf Olive? Surely someone must
have some information?
TD

TranceDylan wrote:

Any ideas anyone?

wrote:
[...]

http://www.bakker-irl.com/Catalog/Pr...productid=2911
"Enjoy fresh fruit from your terrace or patio. Give this dwarf olive a
warm, sheltered spot and harvest tasty olives in autumn. The fruits
are of a normal size. This dwarf olive is supplied in bush form. Over
winter in a frost free place. A wonderful shrub which may be pruned to
virtually any size."

Is there such a thing as a dwarf olive or is it just a small olive
tree which has been confined to a pot?
Mine is over 20 years old and not as big as yours because it is
confined and cut back. Mine has never yet flowered or fruited though.
However, it has been outside for several winters, protected with
fleece and comes through fine.

Pam in Bristol