Old 12-08-2006, 05:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardener's hands

I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

Old 12-08-2006, 09:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/8/06 04:29, in article
, "Farm1"
please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

My favourite but expensive hand cream is by Decleor and my daughter in law
makes her own using lavender. It's excellent, so something based on that
would be good. I suggest a good soak in warm rather than hot water to
remove any dirt, a cuticle cream, a slathering of olive oil and a pair of
gloves every evening and then, if possible, a manicure the same day as the
'do'.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

Put a barrier cream on BEFORE you start gardening. This keeps the worst of
the dirt from penetrating.

Wash your hands before bedtime and slather them in thick hand cream -
doesn't make much difference what make - then put cotton gloves on. You will
feel silly but it does help :~))

Go for a manicure a coupe of times before the event.

Wear pale nail varnish. Dark colours will make people notice your hands
more.

jenny

Old 12-08-2006, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PB PB is offline

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

Smiths Cremola from Boots, your hands will be as soft as the baby's
proverbial in no time.

Old 12-08-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

I use 'Emulsifying Ooinment BP', you spread it on your hands, just a tiny
quantity, and treat it just like soap, wash your hands as usual in water.

Alan

Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

A long time ago I spent some time in Antarctica where we had to take turns
at cooking. The Diesel Mechanic (whose hands were ingrained with oil) used
to say that the only time he had clean hands was after making pastry!

Trefor

Old 12-08-2006, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Trefor Jones" wrote in message

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

A long time ago I spent some time in Antarctica where we had to take turns
at cooking. The Diesel Mechanic (whose hands were ingrained with oil) used
to say that the only time he had clean hands was after making pastry!
Trefor

An old boyfriend of mine used to make breadpudding - he reckoned it worked
better than Swarfega !
Jenny

Old 12-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Registered User

Location: Buckinghamshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farm1
I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.
Try rubbing them with a mixture of sugar or coarse salt and any essential oils you enjoy. It really does get off the top layers of dirt and skin and leaves your hands beautifully soft.
Good luck
Deborah
Old 14-08-2006, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Many thanks one and all. I've dug the cotton household gloves from
under the sink and have hunted out some good handcream (if the strong
smell of teatree oil is anything to go by it should be powerful.

The other thing that this thread make me recall is that my mother used
to use common household salt and lemon rinds to clean her hands with.
Now I just have to keep u the treatment and not fall by the wayside.

Old 14-08-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message

The other thing that this thread make me recall is that my mother used
to use common household salt and lemon rinds to clean her hands with.
Now I just have to keep u the treatment and not fall by the wayside.

Ouch!!!!! Fine as long as you have no cuts on your hands :-)))

If you do have cuts, don't visit the Flotation Pool at
http://www.nirvanaspa.co.uk/ Very very salty and stung my hands like mad
:-(( Great sensation though, you cannot sink :-))

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 14-08-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Farm1
writes
I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

Have only just seen this - sorry, been on holiday - Crabtree and Evelyn
do an excellent tube of stuff with gritty bits in it (I believe in the
posh world, they are called granules or similar) that makes short work
of garden muck on hands. It can be followed up with their lovely
gardener's hand cream.
--
June Hughes
Old 14-08-2006, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Farm1 wrote:
I've got a social ocassion coming up in a few motnhs when my hands
really should not scream "Gardener!!!!!!"

Does anyone have any ideas for hand care/rejuvination? I do wear
gloves but the hands still get ingrained dirt and look foul.

Barrier cream before getting hands dirty - E45 cream or 'diprobase'
cream (pharmacy - cheap unperfumed non-lanolin base cream for eczema).
Works well when tinkering with oily bits on cars too.

Cheers,

Phil.

Great resource for the bayyard gardener, and first time gardener John Peterson Gardening 0 24-03-2009 01:21 AM
Head Gardener for Gardener's World wanted Sacha United Kingdom 19 01-05-2006 11:26 PM
Chapped hands and eczema gnmouser Ponds (alternative) 0 15-04-2003 03:20 AM
[IBC] Juniper Hands John NJ Bonsai 3 07-04-2003 10:08 PM
Extra Pair of Hands BenignVanilla Ponds 4 30-03-2003 07:32 PM