GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Identity please? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148644-identity-please.html)

JennyC 12-08-2006 02:27 PM

Identity please?

Hi

I have this bulb type plant growing the GH.

It grows above ground and produces 'bulblets' under a thin papery skin
around the main bulb.
It flowered recently........

Pics at: http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Charlie Pridham 12-08-2006 03:53 PM

Identity please?

"JennyC" wrote in message

Hi

I have this bulb type plant growing the GH.

It grows above ground and produces 'bulblets' under a thin papery skin
around the main bulb.
It flowered recently........

Pics at: http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

--
Jenny (the Netherlands)
remove squirrel to reply

Flower spike looks like a eucomis, but I do not recognise the little bulblet
description - sorry

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

JennyC 12-08-2006 09:07 PM

Identity please?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:27:20 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Hi

I have this bulb type plant growing the GH.

It grows above ground and produces 'bulblets' under a thin papery skin
around the main bulb.
It flowered recently........

Pics at: http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

http://www.meemelink.com/prints%20pa...umbellatum.htm

Star of Bethlehem???
Martin

Don't think it is Martin. The flowers are smaller and closer together.
Jenny

JennyC 12-08-2006 09:16 PM

Identity please?

wrote:

Hi
I have this bulb type plant growing the GH.
It grows above ground and produces 'bulblets' under a thin papery skin
around the main bulb.
It flowered recently........
Pics at: http://www.ljconline.nl/garden/oddsandsods.htm

http://www.meemelink.com/prints%20pa...umbellatum.htm
Star of Bethlehem???
Martin

Don't think it is Martin. The flowers are smaller and closer together.
Jenny

But quite possibly Ornithogalum narbonense
Thanks :~) Jenny

DavePoole Torquay 13-08-2006 10:52 AM

Identity please?

JennyC wrote:

But quite possibly Ornithogalum narbonense
Thanks :~) Jenny

Not Ornithogalum narbonense Jenny, but O. caudatum AKA 'Sea Onion/False
Sea Onion'. The flowers of narbonense are larger and a more solid
white. They are also less numerous held on a shorter, less crowded
flower spike and the bulb is much smaller and subterranean. It is hardy
and rarely exceeds much more than 30cms.

In caudatum, the flowers are a translucent greenish white with a green
stripe, densely crowded in a heavily bracted, terminal raceme that
extends considerably as the flowers open so that the entire spike can
be up to 2m. or more in length.. It develops large green, onion-like
bulbs above ground level periodically forming small bulbets on the
outer scales. Originally a native of coastal regions of South Africa
it has naturalised in many parts where there is a similar,
mediterranean-style climate.

JennyC 14-08-2006 05:59 PM

Identity please?

"DavePoole Torquay" wrote in message

[...]