Old 14-08-2006, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Passion Flower not Flowering?

We have three tender passion flowers in pots in the conservatory -
passiflora 'incense', passiflora alata and passiflora racemosa. All are
growing vigorously. Incense and racemosa flowered last year and this
year. Alata still shows no sign of flowering.

Any suggestions?

Thanks you,
--
Larry Stoter
Old 14-08-2006, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
We have three tender passion flowers in pots in the conservatory -
passiflora 'incense', passiflora alata and passiflora racemosa. All are
growing vigorously. Incense and racemosa flowered last year and this
year. Alata still shows no sign of flowering.

Any suggestions?

Thanks you,
--
Larry Stoter

snap, ours are outside and had no flowers on at all.........in the mid
Hampshire area

Old 15-08-2006, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
We have three tender passion flowers in pots in the conservatory -
passiflora 'incense', passiflora alata and passiflora racemosa. All are
growing vigorously. Incense and racemosa flowered last year and this
year. Alata still shows no sign of flowering.

Any suggestions?

Thanks you,
--
Larry Stoter

I don't know alata but some passiflora are not keen on heat (you tend to
find them growing higher up where its cooler and moister in warm climates)
and abort flower buds when too warm. I find the exoniensis in the green
house always flowers better in spring and autumn often goes out of flower in
summer. So maybe its been too hot for your plant this year?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 15-08-2006, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Stoter" wrote
We have three tender passion flowers in pots in the conservatory -
passiflora 'incense', passiflora alata and passiflora racemosa. All are
growing vigorously. Incense and racemosa flowered last year and this
year. Alata still shows no sign of flowering.

Now that you mention it, my outdoor passionflower cerulea hasn't yet
flowered. Last year it was glorious, so perhaps it's having a rest or
perhaps it hasn't liked the heat.

Old 15-08-2006, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
o.uk...
We have three tender passion flowers in pots in the conservatory -
passiflora 'incense', passiflora alata and passiflora racemosa. All are
growing vigorously. Incense and racemosa flowered last year and this
year. Alata still shows no sign of flowering.

Any suggestions?

Thanks you,
--
Larry Stoter

I don't know alata but some passiflora are not keen on heat (you tend to
find them growing higher up where its cooler and moister in warm climates)
and abort flower buds when too warm. I find the exoniensis in the green
house always flowers better in spring and autumn often goes out of flower in
summer. So maybe its been too hot for your plant this year?

Not even any sign of buds - this year or last - on the alata. Racemosa
flowered before the hot weather, 'incense' is now covered in buds and
starting to flower well.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 17-08-2006, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
We have three tender passion flowers in pots in the conservatory -
passiflora 'incense', passiflora alata and passiflora racemosa. All

are
growing vigorously. Incense and racemosa flowered last year and this
year. Alata still shows no sign of flowering.

Any suggestions?

Just a piece of useless trivia, but in this country (Australia) the
old hands swear that the best way to plant the fruiting passiflora
edulis is on top of a liver (as in the sort bought from a butcher's
shop).

Old 18-08-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
We have three tender passion flowers in pots in the conservatory -
passiflora 'incense', passiflora alata and passiflora racemosa. All

are
growing vigorously. Incense and racemosa flowered last year and this
year. Alata still shows no sign of flowering.

Any suggestions?

Just a piece of useless trivia, but in this country (Australia) the
old hands swear that the best way to plant the fruiting passiflora
edulis is on top of a liver (as in the sort bought from a butcher's
shop).

Doesn't sound completely ridiculous ....

I did read that Passion Flowers like lots of potassium and that you
should always put a couple of bananas under any Passion Flower ....
--
Larry Stoter