Old 15-08-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Winter Scent

I'm planning ahead for winter and I fancy growing something highly scented
in a large pot by the front door (south facing, windy, open to the
elements). Out of these choices, which is best for a pot?

Lonicera Purpusii - (Winter Flowering Honeysuckle)
Hamamelis Mollis - (Chinese Witch Hazel)
Chimonanthus Praecox - (Christmas Box)

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Old 15-08-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote

Chimonanthus Praecox - (Christmas Box)

Sorry, not Christmas Box -- Wintersweet.

Old 15-08-2006, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jane" wrote in message
I'm planning ahead for winter and I fancy growing something highly scented
in a large pot by the front door (south facing, windy, open to the
elements). Out of these choices, which is best for a pot?

Lonicera Purpusii - (Winter Flowering Honeysuckle)
Hamamelis Mollis - (Chinese Witch Hazel)
Chimonanthus Praecox - (Christmas Box)

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Mahonia in pots looks good. There are several varieties but the bog standard
"Sweet Charity" will be fine and can be hacked back if it becomes too large.
As a bonus you can munch the berries.

Old 15-08-2006, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/8/06 11:06, in article ,
"Jane" wrote:

I'm planning ahead for winter and I fancy growing something highly scented
in a large pot by the front door (south facing, windy, open to the
elements). Out of these choices, which is best for a pot?

Lonicera Purpusii - (Winter Flowering Honeysuckle)
Hamamelis Mollis - (Chinese Witch Hazel)
Chimonanthus Praecox - (Christmas Box)

Any other suggestions?

Definitely Sarcococca and Daphne odora (or D. bholua in the garden if you
have the space.) I thought it was Sarcococca that was known as Christmas
Box but perhaps it's different in different areas?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 15-08-2006, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Jane writes
I'm planning ahead for winter and I fancy growing something highly scented
in a large pot by the front door (south facing, windy, open to the
elements). Out of these choices, which is best for a pot?

Lonicera Purpusii - (Winter Flowering Honeysuckle)

I think that'd work in a pot.

Hamamelis Mollis - (Chinese Witch Hazel)

Looks and flowers better as it gets big. I wouldn't myself try it in a
pot.

--
Kay

Old 15-08-2006, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hil hil is offline

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
I'm planning ahead for winter and I fancy growing something highly scented
in a large pot by the front door (south facing, windy, open to the
elements). Out of these choices, which is best for a pot?

Lonicera Purpusii - (Winter Flowering Honeysuckle)
Hamamelis Mollis - (Chinese Witch Hazel)
Chimonanthus Praecox - (Christmas Box)

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Mahonia in pots looks good. There are several varieties but the bog standard
"Sweet Charity" will be fine and can be hacked back if it becomes too large.
As a bonus you can munch the berries.

I have never heard that mahonia berries are edible. Have you eaten
them yourself? And remained well!!!

Old 15-08-2006, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

hil writes

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
I'm planning ahead for winter and I fancy growing something highly scented
in a large pot by the front door (south facing, windy, open to the
elements). Out of these choices, which is best for a pot?

Lonicera Purpusii - (Winter Flowering Honeysuckle)
Hamamelis Mollis - (Chinese Witch Hazel)
Chimonanthus Praecox - (Christmas Box)

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Mahonia in pots looks good. There are several varieties but the bog standard
"Sweet Charity" will be fine and can be hacked back if it becomes too large.
As a bonus you can munch the berries.

I have never heard that mahonia berries are edible. Have you eaten
them yourself? And remained well!!!

Not heard the name 'oregon grape'? ;-)

According to Usher ' plants used by man':
M aquifolium - rhizome and roots used medicinally to improve appetite
and as a tonic
M repens, also called Oregon grape - fruits eaten raw and used to make
jellies, wines and drinks.
Various other species used medicinally.

It's a member of the Berberidaceae, which is not known for having a
large number of poisonous species, is it? What was the reason for your
incredulity?
--
Kay
Old 16-08-2006, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"hil" wrote in message
ups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Jane" wrote in message
I'm planning ahead for winter and I fancy growing something highly
scented
in a large pot by the front door (south facing, windy, open to the
elements). Out of these choices, which is best for a pot?

Lonicera Purpusii - (Winter Flowering Honeysuckle)
Hamamelis Mollis - (Chinese Witch Hazel)
Chimonanthus Praecox - (Christmas Box)

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

Mahonia in pots looks good. There are several varieties but the bog
standard
"Sweet Charity" will be fine and can be hacked back if it becomes too
large.
As a bonus you can munch the berries.

I have never heard that mahonia berries are edible. Have you eaten
them yourself? And remained well!!!

I certainly have and do eat Mahonia berries. I never find them as tart as
the literature suggests.
Try the berries of Leycesteria formosa, a lovely very distinct toffee taste
and non toxic (I think) :-)

Old 17-08-2006, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/8/06 23:33, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
Try the berries of Leycesteria formosa, a lovely very distinct toffee taste
and non toxic (I think) :-)

Spoilsport! Poor pheasants. ;-)

Old 17-08-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 16/8/06 23:33, in article , "Rupert
(W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

snip
Try the berries of Leycesteria formosa, a lovely very distinct toffee
taste
and non toxic (I think) :-)

Spoilsport! Poor pheasants. ;-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

The peasants can find their own food:-)
I always know when the berries are read for eating when the blackbirds go
into a fearless frenzy to get at them. The odd berries that survive and
ripen seem to attract Goldfinches in winter.
I can't find any information about the big white berries on LEYCESTERIA
crocothyrsos . They look so tempting and juicy but the birds don't seem to
touch them. I might just .....

Hyacinth Scent bh2os Gardening 1 18-03-2009 12:13 AM
Any recommendations on indoor flowers with lots of scent yet easy to grow? Galaxy Gardening 8 13-06-2004 01:02 PM
Any recommendations on indoor flowers with lots of scent yet easy to grow? Galaxy United Kingdom 2 12-06-2004 01:11 PM
Abelia scent Glen Able United Kingdom 1 01-06-2004 08:14 PM
Blue Scent lavendar Kate Morgan United Kingdom 0 18-07-2003 08:42 PM