GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nutmeg tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148832-nutmeg-tree.html)

Pam Moore 17-08-2006 11:41 AM

Nutmeg tree

An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

Sacha[_1_] 17-08-2006 12:25 PM

Nutmeg tree

On 17/8/06 11:41, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

Could it be Carya myristiciformis? If so, it can grow a lot taller but
slowly, says Ray. It's a member of the walnut family, we think.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Pam Moore 17-08-2006 02:04 PM

Nutmeg tree

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 12:25:07 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 17/8/06 11:41, in article ,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

Could it be Carya myristiciformis? If so, it can grow a lot taller but
slowly, says Ray. It's a member of the walnut family, we think.

A quick look at Google images seems to indicaate you are right!
Thanks Sacha, I'll investigate further.

Pam in Bristol

Sacha[_1_] 17-08-2006 02:07 PM

Nutmeg tree

,
"Pam Moore" wrote:

An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".

snip

Could it be Carya myristiciformis? If so, it can grow a lot taller but
slowly, says Ray. It's a member of the walnut family, we think.

A quick look at Google images seems to indicaate you are right!
Thanks Sacha, I'll investigate further.

Nutmeg is Myristica so that seems to be the link.

[email protected] 17-08-2006 05:21 PM

Nutmeg tree

Carya myristiciformis or Nutmeg Hickory is only good up to zone 9, so
I think you are on the borders of survival. There is one in Kew
gardens growing well.

How old is it, does it produce any viable nuts ??

Brian[_2_] 17-08-2006 06:24 PM

Nutmeg tree

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a quite common name for Leycesteria formosa and is still
used by many elderly~ and myself when I can't remember!!
Best Wishes Brian.

sam 17-08-2006 07:16 PM

Nutmeg tree

Pam Moore wrote:
An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

I had a little nut tree
Nothing would it bear.
Except a silver nutmeg
And a golden pear.
The king of Spain's daughter
came to visit me,
And all because of my little nut tree.

Mike Lyle[_1_] 17-08-2006 08:31 PM

Nutmeg tree

Brian wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a quite common name for Leycesteria formosa and is still
used by many elderly~ and myself when I can't remember!!

"Chinese nutmeg" to me. I've never grown it: do the fruits at all
resemble nutmegs in smell or use?

--
Mike.

Brian[_2_] 17-08-2006 10:33 PM

Nutmeg tree

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Brian wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a quite common name for Leycesteria formosa and is

still
used by many elderly~ and myself when I can't remember!!

"Chinese nutmeg" to me. I've never grown it: do the fruits at all
resemble nutmegs in smell or use?

--
Mike

~~~~~~~~~~~
No, the fruits resemble nothing familiar. We frequently have it as a
weed, but was introduced locally as a woodland plant for pheasants.
Best Wishes Brian.

Sacha[_1_] 17-08-2006 10:57 PM

Nutmeg tree

On 17/8/06 20:31, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Brian wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a quite common name for Leycesteria formosa and is still
used by many elderly~ and myself when I can't remember!!

"Chinese nutmeg" to me. I've never grown it: do the fruits at all
resemble nutmegs in smell or use?

Not remotely. And right now, Leycesteria is in flower so that would have
helped with ID, surely?

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 17-08-2006 11:26 PM

Nutmeg tree

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/8/06 20:31, in article
, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Brian wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
[...]

Well "Chinese nutmeg" isn't far off nutmeg. What I mean is that Chinese
nutmeg is not Leycesteria.
The berries certainly would help with ID. They taste of Toffee and.... yes
we have done that bit already somewhere else.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 17-08-2006 11:51 PM

Nutmeg tree

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Brian wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a quite common name for Leycesteria formosa and is
still
used by many elderly~ and myself when I can't remember!!

"Chinese nutmeg" to me. I've never grown it: do the fruits at all
resemble nutmegs in smell or use?

--
Mike.

Why you no grow me L.formosa? Is it cos I is common.
I am reliable, oriental looking and I give you good time big boy.
LF and other beauties await you at:-
www.buyawife.con
ps. I taste of Toffee

Pam Moore 18-08-2006 09:45 AM

Nutmeg tree

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 19:16:41 +0100, sam wrote:

Pam Moore wrote:
An elderly friend was yesterday showing me round her garden.
She pointed to one bush and said it was a "Nutmeg tree".
I KNOW it was not a proper nutmeg tree; I saw those in Barbados!
I didn't correct her as she seemed so proud of it.
The leaves were lilac shaped, but not glossy and stems droopy. I
couldn't look closely (visually impaired anyway!). It was about 1
metre tall.
Any ideas? I'm just curious.

Pam in Bristol

I had a little nut tree
Nothing would it bear.
Except a silver nutmeg
And a golden pear.
The king of Spain's daughter
came to visit me,
And all because of my little nut tree.

Thanks very much for that, Sam. It's a great help!

Pam in Bristol

Mike Lyle[_1_] 18-08-2006 05:37 PM

Nutmeg tree

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
ups.com...

Brian wrote:

[...]
This is a quite common name for Leycesteria formosa and is
still
used by many elderly~ and myself when I can't remember!!

"Chinese nutmeg" to me. I've never grown it: do the fruits at all
resemble nutmegs in smell or use?

--
Mike.

Why you no grow me L.formosa? Is it cos I is common.
I am reliable, oriental looking and I give you good time big boy.
LF and other beauties await you at:-
www.buyawife.con
ps. I taste of Toffee

Mmm! I can resist anything except temptation. Just as soon as I get
another garden, my delicious little oriental!

--
Mike.