GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Bluebells on the lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/14887-bluebells-lawn.html)

Fred 14-04-2003 12:08 PM

Bluebells on the lawn

We had some flower beds lawned over a while back but it looks like they
didn't go deep enough in clearing what was there before.... we now have
plants growing all over it (they possibly ended up spreading them around!).
Digging down finds whitish/yellow bulbs about 9-12 inches below the
surface... I have a feeling these are bluebells. It would be and immense job
to try and dig them all out and would leave the lawn in a right mess.

Any ideas on how I can clear the lawn of these? Will feed & weed type
products work on bulbs this far down?

TIA,

Dave

Nick Maclaren 14-04-2003 12:21 PM

Bluebells on the lawn

In article , "Fred" writes:
| We had some flower beds lawned over a while back but it looks like they
| didn't go deep enough in clearing what was there before.... we now have
| plants growing all over it (they possibly ended up spreading them around!).
| Digging down finds whitish/yellow bulbs about 9-12 inches below the
| surface... I have a feeling these are bluebells. It would be and immense job
| to try and dig them all out and would leave the lawn in a right mess.
|
| Any ideas on how I can clear the lawn of these? Will feed & weed type
| products work on bulbs this far down?

Forget it. Just mow the lawn normally. They won't survive for long.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Simon Avery 14-04-2003 07:08 PM

Bluebells on the lawn

"Fred" wrote:

Hello Fred

F We had some flower beds lawned over a while back but it
F looks like they didn't go deep enough in clearing what was
F there before.... we now have plants growing all over it
F (they possibly ended up spreading them around!). Digging
F down finds whitish/yellow bulbs about 9-12 inches below the
F surface... I have a feeling these are bluebells. It would be
F and immense job to try and dig them all out and would leave
F the lawn in a right mess.

So don't bother. Just mow normally every week and they'll give up
trying to live.

Alternatively, I imagine any broadleaf-targetting herbicide as usually
marketed for lawns would do the trick. (Runs off narrow leaves like
grass, stays on and affects larger leaves)