GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   compost heap/brassicas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148900-compost-heap-brassicas.html)

Alan McKenzie 19-08-2006 05:47 PM

compost heap/brassicas

can brassicaca's that have caterpillars on them be put in the compost heap
or do I need to get rid of them first.
Thanks for your help.

David \(in Normandy\)[_2_] 19-08-2006 06:12 PM

compost heap/brassicas

"Alan McKenzie" wrote in message
can brassicaca's that have caterpillars on them be put in the compost heap
or do I need to get rid of them first.
Thanks for your help.

You can just put them onto the compost heap, no need to worry about resident
caterpillars. More of a problem with composting brassicas can be the tough
woody stems, which can sometimes take a long while to rot down. Such stems
are best either put through a shredder or simply smashed - I use one of
those small hand axes and pulverise them on a old log first.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Alan McKenzie 19-08-2006 08:23 PM

compost heap/brassicas

Thanks for that.
"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...

david taylor 27-08-2006 12:56 PM

compost heap/brassicas

"Alan McKenzie" wrote in message
Thanks for that.
"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...
"Alan McKenzie" wrote in message
can brassicaca's that have caterpillars on them be put in the compost
heap or do I need to get rid of them first.
Thanks for your help.

You can just put them onto the compost heap, no need to worry about
resident caterpillars. More of a problem with composting brassicas can be
the tough woody stems, which can sometimes take a long while to rot down.
Such stems are best either put through a shredder or simply smashed - I
use one of those small hand axes and pulverise them on a old log first.
--
David
... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk
... Blog at http://dlts-french-adventures.blogspot.com/

Over 80% of large white caterpillars are taken over by a parasitic wasp
larvae so compost them as part if life's natural recycle.

Root fly maggots are not so common and my instinct is then to destroy
maggots and roots.
Regards
David T