GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Advice please on Bog Garden planning and planting (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148934-advice-please-bog-garden-planning-planting.html)

20-08-2006 10:08 PM

Advice please on Bog Garden planning and planting

Hi, I'm in the final stages of renovating my pond by putting a decking path
around it and creation of flower beds and a bog garden. I plan to have an
overflow from the pond into a bog garden.I have about 5m X 5m outlined for
the bog garden. I will be removing the turf, digging down 18" and installing
a plastic membrane with a few holes in it, sticking some gravel in then
making use of the turf by sticking it back in grass side down then replacing
the soil mixed with leaf mulch.

My main aim is to have exotic looking plants to give a backdrop to the pond
(Gunnera being one plant I would like). The bog garden will link up with the
flower beds. Ideally I would like some all year round interest and also
plants to act as weed suppressant (tall order, I know).

Any advice as to my proposed method or with suggested plants would be very
much appreciated. I live in South East Scotland within quarter of a mile
from the coast,

thanks in anticipation,

David

20-08-2006 10:17 PM

. wrote in message ...
Hi, I'm in the final stages of renovating my pond by ....
thanks in anticipation,

David

Sorry about the dot in the "from" column, I'm not certain how that has
happened!!

regards,

David

An Oasis 21-08-2006 07:29 AM

Quote:

. wrote in message ...
Hi, I'm in the final stages of renovating my pond by ....
thanks in anticipation,

David

Sorry about the dot in the "from" column, I'm not certain how that has
happened!!

regards,

David
Have you read ? It's an American forum but there's a lot of do's & don'ts...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/bog/

Again American but a good resource list to start researching from

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/bog/

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 21-08-2006 08:42 AM

. wrote in message ...
[...]

Mind-your-own-business, Soleirolia soleirolii (syn. Helxine soleirolii) is
one thing that will colonise damp /wet areas and act as an evergreen mulch.
I like the stuff but there are some who treat it as an invasive and
unwelcome weed

K 21-08-2006 09:58 PM

Advice please on Bog Garden planning and planting

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

. wrote in message ...
[...]

Don't rely on it for weed suppression though - grass grows through it
quite easily.

--
Kay

21-08-2006 10:36 PM

. wrote in message ...
Hi, I'm in the final stages of renovating my pond by putting a decking
live in South East Scotland within quarter of a mile from the coast,

thanks in anticipation,

David

Thankyou everyone for your replies.I am really looking forward to starting
on the "bog" over the next month (or two!). Which plants would be worth
planting before Winter (presumably cornus, primulas and mimulus)?

thanks again,

David