GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Check your 'weeds'! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/148958-check-your-weeds.html)

Alan Holmes[_1_] 21-08-2006 10:59 PM

Check your 'weeds'!

"Sacha" wrote in message
One of our staff found the most wonderful elephant hawk moth up on some
willowherb a couple of days ago. He's a wonder to behold, especially when
he sticks his 'trunk' out to start munching! And we've had humming bird
hawk moths flying around, feeding on the Salvia involucrata in particular.

Lucky you!

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

ned 22-08-2006 12:13 AM

Check your 'weeds'!

"Sacha" wrote in message
One of our staff found the most wonderful elephant hawk moth up on

some
willowherb a couple of days ago. He's a wonder to behold,

especially when
he sticks his 'trunk' out to start munching! And we've had humming

bird
hawk moths flying around, feeding on the Salvia involucrata in

particular.

'Seems to be a good year for Hawkmoths.
I rarely see any, but this year I've had Poplar Hawk, Privet Hawk and
Hummingbird Hawkmoths in the garden - and I had the first two perched
on my finger!

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
latest update 20.08.2006

BAC 22-08-2006 04:38 PM

Check your 'weeds'!

"ned" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
One of our staff found the most wonderful elephant hawk moth up on

some
willowherb a couple of days ago. He's a wonder to behold,

especially when
he sticks his 'trunk' out to start munching! And we've had humming

bird
hawk moths flying around, feeding on the Salvia involucrata in

particular.

'Seems to be a good year for Hawkmoths.
I rarely see any, but this year I've had Poplar Hawk, Privet Hawk and
Hummingbird Hawkmoths in the garden - and I had the first two perched
on my finger!

Certainly has been good for hummingbird hawk moths. Saw the first here a
couple of weeks back, which is really early, and there was one on the
honeysuckle a few minutes ago. Also seems a very good year for rowan and
heather. I was out on the moors earlier today, and it was spectacular.