Old 14-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Charlie

Default Cutting Leylandi

What will happen if I "trim" my leylandi? They're mature, about 15ft I'd
guess. We'd like them to wall height, about 7ft so that's cutting off a
little more than 50%. Will they die? We really don't want them to do
that - we live next door to a pub! What's the best way of going about it?
Ladder and saw?

Charlie.

--
www.lowfidelity.org.uk
RCTQ Double Princess of Britain

---

Old 14-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Paul Kelly

"Charlie" wrote in message
What will happen if I "trim" my leylandi? They're mature, about 15ft I'd
guess. We'd like them to wall height, about 7ft so that's cutting off a
little more than 50%. Will they die? We really don't want them to do
that - we live next door to a pub! What's the best way of going about it?
Ladder and saw?

Ideally hand and knees hands cut them off at ground level!

Otherwise, cut them off 18" below desired height to achieve a flat bushy top
with the trunk hidden - don't worry it will soon make up the 18"!

Best advice on how? Get a tree surgeon in! They will not charge much, you do
not risk life and limb and they take away the dross.

Thereafter, trim to desired height 1/2 per year.

pk

Old 14-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Charlie

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
Ideally hand and knees hands cut them off at ground level!

Not an option - as I said before, we're next to a noisy pub!

Best advice on how? Get a tree surgeon in! They will not charge much, you

do
not risk life and limb and they take away the dross.

Any other tips? We were quoted around £1000 last time we asked I believe,
way to much money for something that is doable!

Charlie.

Old 14-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Paul Kelly

"Charlie" wrote in message

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message
Ideally hand and knees hands cut them off at ground level!

Not an option - as I said before, we're next to a noisy pub!

Best advice on how? Get a tree surgeon in! They will not charge much,

you
do
not risk life and limb and they take away the dross.

Any other tips? We were quoted around £1000 last time we asked I believe,
way to much money for something that is doable!

How many do you have? £1000 implies an awful lot of man hours for the
professionals.

A few yrs ago I had 6 45 ft ones taken out and roots ground out for £400

pk

Old 14-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Charlie

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

How many do you have? £1000 implies an awful lot of man hours for the
professionals.

A few yrs ago I had 6 45 ft ones taken out and roots ground out for £400

About 15 I'd guess, all closely packed together. £400 is still alot of
money!

Charlie.

Old 14-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Paul Kelly

"Charlie" wrote in message

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

How many do you have? £1000 implies an awful lot of man hours for the
professionals.

A few yrs ago I had 6 45 ft ones taken out and roots ground out for £400

About 15 I'd guess, all closely packed together. £400 is still alot of
money!

£1000 for topping 15 leylandii sounds outrageous! have you tried other
quotes? The guy I use would be around £200 tops for a job of that size.

pk

ps this is a cautionary tale for those who champion planting leylandii!

Old 14-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Mike

In article , Charlie
writes

"Paul Kelly" wrote in message

How many do you have? £1000 implies an awful lot of man hours for the
professionals.

A few yrs ago I had 6 45 ft ones taken out and roots ground out for £400

About 15 I'd guess, all closely packed together. £400 is still alot of
money!

Charlie.

Your biggest problem after cutting them down, or trimming them down to
height, is getting rid of the bits and pieces.

We have just 2 as specimen trees which of course need trimming. We did
have a shredder but it wore itself out, so everything goes up the dump
now.

We did have bonfires but the garden is tooooooooooooooo neat and tidy
for that.

'IF' your garden is big enough, ladder and Loppers/saw and then either
shred or bonfire it a week at a time. Bit by bit. Not all at once.

Unless,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
,
you want to pay a pro to get rid of it/them :-))

Mike
Been there, got the tee shirt :-((

Forthcoming reunions. Royal Navy Social Weekend Sussex May 2nd - 5th.
H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th. Plus many more

Old 14-04-2003, 08:08 PM
Charlie

We'll have to have a call around I guess! Still would rather do it myself!
(If you can imagine a 17 year old girl up the trees in theatre rigging
gear!)

Charlie.

Old 14-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Mike

In article , Charlie
writes
We'll have to have a call around I guess! Still would rather do it myself!
(If you can imagine a 17 year old girl up the trees in theatre rigging
gear!)

Charlie.

If Charlie is a 17 year old girl ;-), then I guess a trip next door with
the 'I'm only a helpless female' look will certainly get someone to come
and help you. ;-)

Mike
Which pub is it????????

Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Charlie

Well that would be telling! It's one in Chelmsford if that helps! I
actually need to go ask for a job there, I say I'm 17, but I actually turned
18 a week ago! Hehe.

Charlie.

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Charlie
writes

------

Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Charlie

We already have full bonfire, so we were going to continually load it into
the back of the estate car and take it to the dump...

OR, rent an industrial size shredder, save some to mulch with possible and
take the rest to the dump or hire a skip!

Charlie.

"Mike" wrote in message
In article , Charlie
writes

Old 14-04-2003, 10:08 PM
David

In article , Charlie
writes
What will happen if I "trim" my leylandi? They're mature, about 15ft I'd
guess. We'd like them to wall height, about 7ft so that's cutting off a
little more than 50%. Will they die? We really don't want them to do
that - we live next door to a pub! What's the best way of going about it?
Ladder and saw?

Charlie.

A few years back I did almost exactly the same to my neighbours
Leylandii, I tried using a bow saw but couldn't get it going, ended up
using a panel saw, the trees carried on growing as if nothing had
happened and were trimmed regularly afterwards. A bit of grunting and
groaning coupled with a mornings hard work and the job was done.
--
David
Old 14-04-2003, 11:20 PM
David

In article , Paul Kelly
writes

£1000 for topping 15 leylandii sounds outrageous! have you tried other
quotes? The guy I use would be around £200 tops for a job of that size.

pk

ps this is a cautionary tale for those who champion planting leylandii!

Good point Paul, in fact it may be better not to plant any trees at all
--
David
Old 15-04-2003, 12:44 AM
Paul Kelly

"David" wrote in message
In article , Paul Kelly
writes

£1000 for topping 15 leylandii sounds outrageous! have you tried other
quotes? The guy I use would be around £200 tops for a job of that size.

pk

ps this is a cautionary tale for those who champion planting leylandii!

Good point Paul, in fact it may be better not to plant any trees at all

Nowt wrong with appropriate trees for the spot available!

pk

Old 15-04-2003, 01:08 AM
David

In article , Paul Kelly
writes

"David" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Paul Kelly
writes

£1000 for topping 15 leylandii sounds outrageous! have you tried other
quotes? The guy I use would be around £200 tops for a job of that size.

pk

ps this is a cautionary tale for those who champion planting leylandii!

Good point Paul, in fact it may be better not to plant any trees at all

Nowt wrong with appropriate trees for the spot available!

Unfortunately it appears to have to be your version of appropriate
though
--
David

Leylandi swampydrill Gardening 0 24-05-2007 10:15 PM
what plants will grow in leylandi soil? ambermeta United Kingdom 10 11-08-2004 10:59 AM
Leylandi Juco United Kingdom 9 28-06-2004 11:13 PM
in defense of leylandi hayley United Kingdom 7 16-04-2003 11:56 PM
Advice sought on employing tree surgeon to lop Leylandi Simon United Kingdom 1 18-03-2003 07:08 PM