GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tomato blossom end rot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149107-tomato-blossom-end-rot.html)

Ashnook 27-08-2006 01:32 PM

Tomato blossom end rot

I seem to have a lot of BER this year, it's normally due to irregular
watering but I use a programmed watering system so it's not that.

Can it be due to the hot/cold weather we have had during the season?

Anyone else seeing more than their fair share of it?

Brian

Jane 27-08-2006 02:57 PM

Tomato blossom end rot

"Ashnook" wrote

I seem to have a lot of BER this year, it's normally due to irregular
watering but I use a programmed watering system so it's not that.
Can it be due to the hot/cold weather we have had during the season?
Anyone else seeing more than their fair share of it?

Yes, many of my greenhouse toms have BER this year - first time I've ever
had it. Touch wood the Gardeners' Delight seem to be okay, but the
Alicante, Moneymaker and Shirley seem to be affected quite badly.

[email protected] 27-08-2006 07:37 PM

Tomato blossom end rot

There are two reasons why blossom end rot occurs, irregular watering or
it's a calcium deficiency. Ed

Bob Hobden 27-08-2006 11:10 PM

Tomato blossom end rot

Ed wrote ...
There are two reasons why blossom end rot occurs, irregular watering or
it's a calcium deficiency.

Agree.
Our new allotment plot has a low pH and whilst I limed the Brassica plot
heavily I didn't think about the Toms and am suffering with BER as the acid
soil (pH5.5) does not allow the plants to get enough calcium. Next year I
will raise the pH where the Toms will go.

--
Regards
Bob H

Ashnook 28-08-2006 07:53 AM

Tomato blossom end rot

Bob Hobden wrote:
Ed wrote ...
There are two reasons why blossom end rot occurs, irregular watering or
it's a calcium deficiency.

Agree.
Our new allotment plot has a low pH and whilst I limed the Brassica plot
heavily I didn't think about the Toms and am suffering with BER as the acid
soil (pH5.5) does not allow the plants to get enough calcium. Next year I
will raise the pH where the Toms will go.

I use an automatic watering system and if anything at times they were
over watered but never dry. I feed Wed and Sat with liquid tomato feed
so again this should not be a problem. I grow 3 to a grow bag.

This is what I have always done with little or no BER, this year for the
first time I have a lot of it. Temp in the summer have reached 40 even
with everything open, now they don't get over 23 or 24.