GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone knows the name of this bird? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149148-anyone-knows-name-bird.html)

EagleEyes 28-08-2006 05:25 PM

Anyone knows the name of this bird?

I got one of this in my garden and no clue of what it is...

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/postgrad/alves/pic/bird.jpg

thanks.

PA

Dave P 28-08-2006 05:27 PM

Anyone knows the name of this bird?

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
ps.com...
I got one of this in my garden and no clue of what it is...

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/postgrad/alves/pic/bird.jpg

thanks.

PA

Lucky you! Its a Hoopoe.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/h/hoopoe/index.asp

Dave

--
"Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting. What they
conceal is vital. "

louisxiv 28-08-2006 10:57 PM

Anyone knows the name of this bird?

"Dave P" wrote in message

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
ps.com...
I got one of this in my garden and no clue of what it is...

Yup, it's a Hoopoe. Where are you?

Lol 29-08-2006 01:40 AM

Anyone knows the name of this bird?

Spain by the look of the garden - they are very common in Spain ...

.... and Paulo Alves ?

"louisxiv" wrote in message

"Dave P" wrote in message

ps.com...

EagleEyes 29-08-2006 08:47 AM

Anyone knows the name of this bird?

I live in the UK, but this picture is from my house in the north of
Portugal. I was there for 2 weeks and saw this bird a few times and it
is the second year that it is around the backyard. The picture is 1
week old.

Not spanish :)

louisxiv 29-08-2006 09:01 AM

"EagleEyes" wrote in message
ps.com...
I live in the UK, but this picture is from my house in the north of
Portugal. I was there for 2 weeks and saw this bird a few times and it
is the second year that it is around the backyard. The picture is 1
week old.

Not spanish :)

Yes. The Portuguese are not Spanish in the same way that us Scots are not
English. lol

EagleEyes 29-08-2006 12:41 PM

Anyone knows the name of this bird?

The area of my house is quite rich in birds and I have this visitor
quite often. Last time I saw it was when I put some bread on the garden
and the Hoopoe came flying and scared all the other birds around.

I need to check a few trees to see if it is nesting around the
property, because it seems to always come and go from/to the same area.

I also get hundreds of very small birds with a red beak (do not have a
picture and do not know the name) that come early in the morning, but
these seem to be dissapearing... maybe due to the fact thar golf course
if being built nearby and a considerable amount of florest is being
destroyed...

K 29-08-2006 02:43 PM

Anyone knows the name of this bird?

EagleEyes writes
I live in the UK, but this picture is from my house in the north of
Portugal. I was there for 2 weeks and saw this bird a few times and it
is the second year that it is around the backyard. The picture is 1
week old.

We were in N of Portugal (Ponte de Lima) and there were a couple in the
garden of the house we were staying in. Beautiful birds - first time I'd
seen them.
--
Kay