Old 14-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Leeks, again!

When is the latest time to dig leeks before they start to run to seed?

Alan

Old 14-04-2003, 10:20 PM
The Devil's Advocate

You've answered your own question really! It all depends on when you sowed
them, the conditions and so on. So you are correct, the best time is before
they go to seed but who knows when that thick flower shoot is going to
sprout?1

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message
:
: When is the latest time to dig leeks before they start to run to seed?
:
: Alan
: --
: Reply to alan(at)windsor-berks(dot)freeserve(dot)co(dot)uk
:
:
:

Old 15-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Stephen Howard

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 21:16:39 +0000 (UTC), "The Devil's Advocate"
wrote:

You've answered your own question really! It all depends on when you sowed
them, the conditions and so on. So you are correct, the best time is before
they go to seed but who knows when that thick flower shoot is going to
sprout?1

I dug half a dozen Musselburghs just this morning, and noted that one
or two were starting to put out a tentative flower stem - but on the
whole I think I've done very well that they've lasted this long.

I find that once they head towards flowering they lose their culinary
value, but rather than dig them up I like to leave them to set flower
- they make quite a display, and the native insects love the flower
heads.

About the only thing you need to watch is that they don't succumb to
rust - though if they do they'll tolerate having a few leaves pulled
off.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 15-04-2003, 12:56 PM
jane

wrote:
~
~You've answered your own question really! It all depends on when you sowed
~them, the conditions and so on. So you are correct, the best time is before
~they go to seed but who knows when that thick flower shoot is going to
~sprout?1
~
~I dug half a dozen Musselburghs just this morning, and noted that one
~or two were starting to put out a tentative flower stem - but on the
~whole I think I've done very well that they've lasted this long.

They have. I planted my Musselburghs a tad too close together (6-7")
last year and the whole lot bolted by September. I pulled them all up
in one weekend and spent hours removing the hard flower spike and
shredding the rest for the freezer. Not recommended!

The better spaced (10") Autumn Mammoth Verina (Unwins) I dug the last
of this week so I could dig over the bed.

~I find that once they head towards flowering they lose their culinary
~value, but rather than dig them up I like to leave them to set flower
~- they make quite a display, and the native insects love the flower
~heads.
True. They look good in vases too.

~About the only thing you need to watch is that they don't succumb to
~rust - though if they do they'll tolerate having a few leaves pulled
~off.

In 2001 when I first took on the allotment mid-season, I grew Verina
from Gardeners' Kitchen (the people who do strips of seedling veg for
sale in garden centres) and was well impressed, enough to track down
the variety for seed growing. This variety is extremely rust-resistant
and gives very nice tasting leeks. (Must sow some more this weekend).
I also grew Musselburghs from scratch that year too, and by spring the
stragglers were as rusty as an old iron gate.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!