GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   New Yew Hedge - Cutting Back (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149241-new-yew-hedge-cutting-back.html)

[email protected] 31-08-2006 10:46 AM

New Yew Hedge - Cutting Back

I've just planted a new yew hedge, consisting of 30 pot-grown plants
about 18" - 2' high. Should I cut back the plants now, or leave it
till next spring? And how much should I cut them back? They've got
about 2-3" of new growth on them, but I know Yew can be cut back to old
wood.

As I only want the developed hedge to be about 3' tall, I want to
ensure good growth right down to the base of each plant, which I guess
is going to be down to some effective pruning in the first few years.

Thanks

Neil

Sacha[_1_] 31-08-2006 06:02 PM

New Yew Hedge - Cutting Back

On 31/8/06 10:46, in article
, "
wrote:

I've just planted a new yew hedge, consisting of 30 pot-grown plants
about 18" - 2' high. Should I cut back the plants now, or leave it
till next spring? And how much should I cut them back? They've got
about 2-3" of new growth on them, but I know Yew can be cut back to old
wood.

As I only want the developed hedge to be about 3' tall, I want to
ensure good growth right down to the base of each plant, which I guess
is going to be down to some effective pruning in the first few years.

Take off no more than 2".
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk