Old 30-08-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Composting Dog Waste

"Ian Robinson" wrote in message
Question - Is it safe to compost dog waste? If I do this will it have any
negative effect on plants I feed with it? Many thanks for any information

on
'clearing up a sticky subject'!

I chuck all the poop from my dogs under a hedge to fertilise it. The hedge
hasn't shown any signs of complaint and any smell from the poop quickly
dissappears.

rob

Old 31-08-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 01-09-2006, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Ian Robinson" contains these words:

It won't have any negative effects on plants but most people prefer
not to compost it because dog and cat intestinal worm eggs may survive
the process, and those can be a human health hazard. Just dig a hole
and bury it.

I'm not a dog lover by any means but that strikes even me as extreme. ;-)

Old 01-09-2006, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from "Ian Robinson" contains these words:

Question - Is it safe to compost dog waste? If I do this will it have any
negative effect on plants I feed with it? Many thanks for any
information on
'clearing up a sticky subject'!

It won't have any negative effects on plants but most people prefer
not to compost it because dog and cat intestinal worm eggs may survive
the process, and those can be a human health hazard. Just dig a hole
and bury it.

Don't you treat your dog/cat regularly for worms? Or perhaps there are
some worms that are untreatable? But then - what would I know?
--
June Hughes

Old 01-09-2006, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:
Don't you treat your dog/cat regularly for worms? Or perhaps there are
some worms that are untreatable? But then - what would I know?

You know, you must do, that some vermin is simply indestructible.

Old 01-09-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, La
Puce writes

June Hughes wrote:
Don't you treat your dog/cat regularly for worms? Or perhaps there are
some worms that are untreatable? But then - what would I know?

You know, you must do, that some vermin is simply indestructible.

No. I don't. I wouldn't compost my dog's pooh myself but that is
because I suspect it doesn't have much goodness in it as far as compost
is concerned. Her diet consists of a lot of fibre and I don't think
there is much in that, however long it is left. I shall talk to the vet
next time I see him.
--
June Hughes
Old 01-09-2006, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
June Hughes wrote:
Don't you treat your dog/cat regularly for worms? Or perhaps there
are some worms that are untreatable? But then - what would I know?

You know, you must do, that some vermin is simply indestructible.

You mean fleas?

:-)

Old 01-09-2006, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bioboffin wrote:
You mean fleas?
:-)

Oi, wotchit!

Old 01-09-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
Bioboffin wrote:
You mean fleas?
:-)

Oi, wotchit!

I have great respect for les puces.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I wouldn't compost my dog's pooh myself but that is
because I suspect it doesn't have much goodness in it as far as compost
is concerned. Her diet consists of a lot of fibre and I don't think
there is much in that, however long it is left.

Perhaps you don't know of the benefits to compost heaps of horse, cow,
and sheep manure.

I don't recall mentioning anything of the sort but what do I know?
Perhaps I mentioned it without noticing.
I shall talk to the vet
next time I see him.

No doubt he'll confirm that herbivores produce great fertiliser from a
diet even higher in fibre than your dog's.

Very possibly. As always, you know best. Worms and all.
--
June Hughes
Old 01-09-2006, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 1/9/06 17:05, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I wouldn't compost my dog's pooh myself but that is
because I suspect it doesn't have much goodness in it as far as compost
is concerned. Her diet consists of a lot of fibre and I don't think
there is much in that, however long it is left.

Perhaps you don't know of the benefits to compost heaps of horse, cow,
and sheep manure.

I shall talk to the vet
next time I see him.

No doubt he'll confirm that herbivores produce great fertiliser from a
diet even higher in fibre than your dog's.

Dog poo seems to take forever to break down and IME any previously
undiscovered ones lurking in bits of the garden, grow a horrible fur coat
and linger on for ever! I certainly wouldn't compost it and I believe you
can buy special bins that break it down in some form of chemical compound.

I believe you can. You put them in a hole in the ground, put some
chemicals in them and drop in the dog pooh. I don't know how effective
they are. As for it not breaking down, my experience has been at first
hand in our park where certain offenders do not pick up after their
dogs. It certainly stays around for ages and depending on what they
have been eating, sometimes goes mouldy. On that note, I shall leave
it. What a subject for conversation just before supper
--
June Hughes
Old 01-09-2006, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

snip

But then - what would I know?

If you knew more French, perhaps you would be a little more
fastidious concerning parasites.

I cannot think of any creature except one that preys on fleas. And
sadly in this ng, that is one too many. Very unpleasant.
--
June Hughes
Old 01-09-2006, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I did that, they don't really break down that well, too many lumpy bones
left - plenty of calcium in the soil now!
Someone said something to me about 'waste' from meat eating animals being
bad for the garden. I think they meant meat etc doesn't compost well ? ? ?
Any more info on the subject ?
(thanks to all for answering so far )