GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Heptacodium miconoides or Seven-son Flower (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149304-heptacodium-miconoides-seven-son-flower.html)

Sacha[_1_] 02-09-2006 11:53 AM

Heptacodium miconoides or Seven-son Flower

Is anyone else growing this? We've acquired one from somewhere-we-forget
and neither of us had ever met it before. It sounds a very useful plant and
is hardy, too. The New Jersey Arboretum site says:
"This small, 10 to 20 feet, tree is great for four seasons of interest. Long
dark green leaves appear in early April followed by pale creamy, fragrant
flowers in August. These flowers will persist until October when the calyces
turn reddish which gives the impression of another bloom. In winter the
white bark exfoliates for yet another season of interest. Hepatacodium
miconoides will grow in full sun or part shade. Use as an accent in the
shrub border or as a small specimen."

Its other nickname is Crape Myrtle of the North and I suppose it does have a
slight look of a Lagerstroemia about it. According to one US site I read,
it's a newish introduction from China.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Stewart Robert Hinsley 02-09-2006 02:32 PM

Heptacodium miconoides or Seven-son Flower

In message , Sacha
writes
Is anyone else growing this? We've acquired one from somewhere-we-forget
and neither of us had ever met it before. It sounds a very useful plant and
is hardy, too. The New Jersey Arboretum site says:
"This small, 10 to 20 feet, tree is great for four seasons of interest. Long
dark green leaves appear in early April followed by pale creamy, fragrant
flowers in August. These flowers will persist until October when the calyces
turn reddish which gives the impression of another bloom. In winter the
white bark exfoliates for yet another season of interest. Hepatacodium
miconoides will grow in full sun or part shade. Use as an accent in the
shrub border or as a small specimen."

Its other nickname is Crape Myrtle of the North and I suppose it does have a
slight look of a Lagerstroemia about it. According to one US site I read,
it's a newish introduction from China.

Ness (University of Liverpool) Botanic Gardens have one.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha[_1_] 02-09-2006 04:28 PM

Heptacodium miconoides or Seven-son Flower

On 2/9/06 14:32, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Is anyone else growing this? snip

Ness (University of Liverpool) Botanic Gardens have one.

Have you seen it doing its thang?!

Stewart Robert Hinsley 02-09-2006 08:02 PM

Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Is anyone else growing this? snip

Ness (University of Liverpool) Botanic Gardens have one.

Have you seen it doing its thang?!

I've photographs of the flowers, but that's all.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha[_1_] 03-09-2006 12:09 AM

Heptacodium miconoides or Seven-son Flower

On 2/9/06 20:02, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Is anyone else growing this? snip

Ness (University of Liverpool) Botanic Gardens have one.

Have you seen it doing its thang?!

I've photographs of the flowers, but that's all.

You mean you saw it flowering yourself? What did you think of it, overall?

Stewart Robert Hinsley 04-09-2006 06:21 PM

Heptacodium miconoides or Seven-son Flower

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2/9/06 20:02, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Is anyone else growing this? snip

Ness (University of Liverpool) Botanic Gardens have one.

Have you seen it doing its thang?!

I've photographs of the flowers, but that's all.

You mean you saw it flowering yourself? What did you think of it, overall?

I found it rather nondescript, when not flowering, tho' I haven't seen
it all seasons of the year. It doesn't have much flower power either -
compared to Rhododendron or Prunus or Hydrangea or Lavatera or Cytisus
or ...

Perhaps a plant for someone with a taste for subtlety, or perhaps I've
been unlikely with the timing of my visits.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sacha[_1_] 04-09-2006 06:54 PM

Heptacodium miconoides or Seven-son Flower

On 4/9/06 18:21, in article , "Stewart Robert
Hinsley" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

snip

You mean you saw it flowering yourself? What did you think of it, overall?

I found it rather nondescript, when not flowering, tho' I haven't seen
it all seasons of the year. It doesn't have much flower power either -
compared to Rhododendron or Prunus or Hydrangea or Lavatera or Cytisus
or ...

Perhaps a plant for someone with a taste for subtlety, or perhaps I've
been unlikely with the timing of my visits.

I'm going to look forward to seeing what we think of this once it flowers
here. I'll try to remember to take photographs. Now, I think we bought it
at Hampton Court but who we got it from does NOT come back to me. Perhaps
in time.....!