GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   An ex lawn (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149323-ex-lawn.html)

Little Weed 02-09-2006 10:04 PM

An ex lawn

On my allotment, half was given over to lawn - having cut it back (it
was very overgrown) i have loads of advice on how to return it to plot
- double digging, skimming the grass and piling it up to rot what will
be my best option?
LW

Bob Hobden 02-09-2006 11:51 PM

An ex lawn

"Little Weed" wrote ...
On my allotment, half was given over to lawn - having cut it back (it
was very overgrown) i have loads of advice on how to return it to plot
- double digging, skimming the grass and piling it up to rot what will
be my best option?

I thought I had already answered that question in your previous post.

--
Regards
Bob H

Little Weed 03-09-2006 09:31 AM

An ex lawn

I thought I had already answered that question in your previous post.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

Well... thank you for your prompt reply, but no that was actually a
different question regarding weeds and an overgrown plot.

Having cleared the plot over three days, I have found that HALF of the
plot is actually laid to lawn, ie turf. I will not be rotovating it,
and was simply musing over some options which had been suggested to me,
and thought that I might turn it over to the group, which has been very
constructive and helpful to date.

LW
400 miles N of London UK

Bob Hobden 03-09-2006 10:21 AM

An ex lawn

"Little Weed" wrote ...

I thought I had already answered that question in your previous post.

Well... thank you for your prompt reply, but no that was actually a
different question regarding weeds and an overgrown plot.

Having cleared the plot over three days, I have found that HALF of the
plot is actually laid to lawn, ie turf. I will not be rotovating it,
and was simply musing over some options which had been suggested to me,
and thought that I might turn it over to the group, which has been very
constructive and helpful to date.

Well in that case you could leave it as turf and simply plant your fruit in
it, like an orchard.

--
Regards
Bob H

Someone Here 03-09-2006 07:03 PM

An ex lawn

"Little Weed" wrote in message
oups.com...
On my allotment, half was given over to lawn - having cut it back (it
was very overgrown) i have loads of advice on how to return it to plot
- double digging, skimming the grass and piling it up to rot what will
be my best option?
LW

Leave it as a lawn until next year!!!!

If you have cleared half a plot you will probably have enough to do over the
next 12 months with that. So leave the 'tidy' lawn part until the end of
next year.

Standard operating procedure on our site, do some, then do some more, until
it is all done.

Dave

Little Weed 03-09-2006 10:16 PM

An ex lawn

Leave it as a lawn until next year!!!!

If you have cleared half a plot you will probably have enough to do over the
next 12 months with that. So leave the 'tidy' lawn part until the end of
next year.

Standard operating procedure on our site, do some, then do some more, until
it is all done.

Dave

I think I agree!
I am hoping to plant the fruit trees as a border around the plot, but
if I can get rid of the 'clearing up' debris from one area, I will have
three clear beds in which to dig and cover with the lovely half tonne
of cow dung which was delivered yesterday to my 'midden'.
I have had a super few days clearing/strimming and pulling out
redundant trees (ie hawthorn). sadly it is back to work tomorrow.
However, I anticipate a winter of fence building, shed painting and
greenhouse relocation and repair. Definately enough to be going on
with!

LW