Old 14-04-2003, 07:56 PM
Stephen G

Default Frog Spawn

After a long and worrying wait I have the 1st frog spawn of the year in my
pond. About 4 weeks later than last year. Is this due to the dry spring do
you think?

Stephen
http://uk.geocities.com/gardeningforpleasureuk/

Old 14-04-2003, 08:08 PM
JohnB

I tend to doubt it.

I see you are in West Yorkshire. We are 720 feet up on the west edge of
Sheffield nearly in the Peak Park and we have had as little rain as anyone
else.

This year our first spawn was 11 March complete with a record number of
frogs, last year it was 17 March. The ice had only just disappeared this
year! Interestingly there was a solitary male croaking away to nothing but
the fish yesterday.

JohnB

Old 15-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Dave

Stephen G writes
After a long and worrying wait I have the 1st frog spawn of the year in my
pond. About 4 weeks later than last year. Is this due to the dry spring do
you think?

Oh good, we were worried ours was the only one / we'd got the wrong time
from last year. I'm sure it was around 11th March last year, but nearer
7th April this year. And also no toad spawn, which we had masses of last
year.
--
David
when the sturm und drang of a