GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Cross between leek and garlic? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149340-cross-between-leek-garlic.html)

Sacha[_1_] 03-09-2006 05:05 PM

Cross between leek and garlic?

I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Russel Sprout 03-09-2006 06:23 PM

"Sacha" wrote in message
I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Check out Allium ampeloprasum, I don't think it's actually a cross, however.

Robert[_2_] 03-09-2006 06:42 PM

"Sacha" wrote in message
:I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
: and if so, does anyone know what it's called?
: --
: Sacha
: www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
: South Devon
: http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Common name I believe is elephant garlic, I grew it, it takes over and to my
taste is not all that special

Sacha[_1_] 03-09-2006 11:34 PM

Cross between leek and garlic?

:
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
: South Devon
: http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Common name I believe is elephant garlic, I grew it, it takes over and to my
taste is not all that special

Thanks to you and Russel. I'll look it up.

[email protected] 04-09-2006 05:06 AM

wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
:I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
: and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

Common name I believe is elephant garlic, I grew it, it takes over and to my
taste is not all that special

Thanks to you and Russel. I'll look it up.

OT

If you suffer from leg cramps one of the offenders that bring them on
is eating any of the alliums. There is no "cure" as far as I know
though temprory relief is obtained by stretching or relaxing the
tendons concerned.

You can search for such techniques online but I am not sure where. I
get them at night if I stretch in my sleep. That's the night over as
far as sleep goes.

Sacha[_1_] 04-09-2006 12:26 PM

Cross between leek and garlic?

On 4/9/06 05:06, in article
,
" wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 3/9/06 18:42, in article
, "Robert"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
:I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
: and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

Common name I believe is elephant garlic, I grew it, it takes over and to my
taste is not all that special

Thanks to you and Russel. I'll look it up.

OT

If you suffer from leg cramps one of the offenders that bring them on
is eating any of the alliums. There is no "cure" as far as I know
though temprory relief is obtained by stretching or relaxing the
tendons concerned.

You can search for such techniques online but I am not sure where. I
get them at night if I stretch in my sleep. That's the night over as
far as sleep goes.

I always get awful cramp in hot countries which is of course, my own fault
for not drinking enough water. But I find that if it does wake me up, I
drink a glass of water immediately and walk around a little which does seem
to un-knot the cramp. On rare occasions they have been so bad that not
only am I nearly weeping with pain, the muscle affected is sore for two or
three days afterwards but the walking it off thing does seem to work.
However, I had no idea that the allium family could make the tendency
worse - very interesting, particularly as I probably eat more garlic when
I'm in such places!

John Kelly 04-09-2006 12:27 PM

Sacha wrote:
I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

Sounds like you're expecting a visit from a welsh vampire...

Sorry :-)

--
John Kelly

remove dimspam if replying by email

Sacha[_1_] 04-09-2006 12:38 PM

Cross between leek and garlic?

On 4/9/06 12:27, in article , "John Kelly"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

Sounds like you're expecting a visit from a welsh vampire...

Sorry :-)

Oh go on - give me something else to worry about! ;-)

Chris Hogg 04-09-2006 08:30 PM

On 3 Sep 2006 21:06:28 -0700, wrote:

OT

If you suffer from leg cramps one of the offenders that bring them on
is eating any of the alliums. There is no "cure" as far as I know
though temprory relief is obtained by stretching or relaxing the
tendons concerned.

You can search for such techniques online but I am not sure where. I
get them at night if I stretch in my sleep. That's the night over as
far as sleep goes.

I've heard that for some people, increasing potassium intake can cure
cramps, although I wouldn't guarantee it. Eat bananas, or use one of
those low-sodium salt alternatives, usually a mix of sodium and
potassium chlorides.

--
Chris

John Edyvane 04-09-2006 08:36 PM

Chris Hogg wrote:
On 3 Sep 2006 21:06:28 -0700, wrote:

OT

If you suffer from leg cramps one of the offenders that bring them on
is eating any of the alliums. There is no "cure" as far as I know
though temprory relief is obtained by stretching or relaxing the
tendons concerned.

You can search for such techniques online but I am not sure where. I
get them at night if I stretch in my sleep. That's the night over as
far as sleep goes.

I've heard that for some people, increasing potassium intake can cure
cramps, although I wouldn't guarantee it. Eat bananas, or use one of
those low-sodium salt alternatives, usually a mix of sodium and
potassium chlorides.

Cutting down on meat helps too.

p. pleater 05-09-2006 01:37 PM

Cross between leek and garlic?

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/9/06 12:27, in article , "John
Kelly"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it
for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

A Garleek ??

John McMillan 08-09-2006 05:37 PM

Cross between leek and garlic?

In article ,
"p. pleater" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/9/06 12:27, in article , "John
Kelly"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it
for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

A Garleek ??

I should think so.

Note that the "lick" bit of garlic is the same as "leek"
anyway, coming from "leac", old english, old norse etc.

Cognate with "der Lauch" - a leek in modern german.
They also have Knoblauch - garlic (Knob-leek?) and
Schnittlauch - chives (trimmable leeks) and probably others too.

Sacha[_1_] 08-09-2006 05:49 PM

Cross between leek and garlic?

On 8/9/06 17:37, in article
, "John McMillan"
wrote:

In article ,
"p. pleater" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 4/9/06 12:27, in article
, "John
Kelly"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it
for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

A Garleek ??

I should think so.

Note that the "lick" bit of garlic is the same as "leek"
anyway, coming from "leac", old english, old norse etc.

Cognate with "der Lauch" - a leek in modern german.
They also have Knoblauch - garlic (Knob-leek?) and
Schnittlauch - chives (trimmable leeks) and probably others too.

Sorry but none of those ring the required bell! I have the idea it began
with 'A' but no, it wasn't allium!

Sacha[_1_] 13-09-2006 08:29 AM

Cross between leek and garlic?

On 3/9/06 17:05, in article , "Sacha"
wrote:

I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

Thanks to the many who answered this query. I've just found the Telegraph
magazine in which it was mentioned. It was in an article about cooking in
Manhattan with 'unusual produce', such as fiddlehead ferns. The cross
between leek and garlic is called 'ramps'.

John McMillan 14-09-2006 04:54 PM

wrote:

I recently read of this somewhere but can't remember where. Is it for real
and if so, does anyone know what it's called?

Thanks to the many who answered this query. I've just found the Telegraph
magazine in which it was mentioned. It was in an article about cooking in
Manhattan with 'unusual produce', such as fiddlehead ferns. The cross
between leek and garlic is called 'ramps'.

"Ramps" seems to be the common name for Allium tricoccum, native to
North America. Its only a cross between leek and garlic in that it
tastes somewhere between them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_leek
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-133.html