Old 14-04-2003, 08:08 PM
MG

Default Weigela - tough as old boots!

On Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:30:21 +0000 (UTC), "bnd777"
wrote:

Weigela is a pretty tough shrub .......suggest you prune out the lower
branches now and then prune the entire shrub back after flowering to about
1/2 of the size you desire .......it will then produce new shoots and reach
full size
"frank stefek" wrote in message
What is the common name?
If its over hanging the lawn, how would you go about pruning it?

My very first plant for the first house was a Weigela and we put it in
a Chimney pot against a wall in a N facing garden. It stayed there
until I moved 21 years later! By then it was bushy although I
regularly cut it back and its roots had gone out bottom of pot,
through the brick courtyard and I had to chop those which were by now
about 2" dia and in addition, *totally remove* the canopy to get it
and chimney pot into back of car for the move!

2 Years on, it is coming back. Maybe this year will flower again??
Anyway, it is still in same pot, ontop of a tarnmac drive now, so this
poor chap has a hell of a life rooting! But I paid £4.50 for it, so
buggered if I was going to leave it behind!

So, chop it... it is as hardy as anything!

But, be aware - I found that I had 2 flowering seasons in different
parts of the palnt after *I had* to chop it back one year as it was
restricting my washing whirlygig. I never got it back in step after
that...??

MG