Old 04-09-2006, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Turfing a new lawn

When can / should I do this? I expect I shall be told I should seed it, but
I don't make the decisions.....

Old 05-09-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
On 4/9/06 22:18, in article , "Newshound"
wrote:

When can / should I do this? I expect I shall be told I should seed it, but
I don't make the decisions.....

If you can afford to turf, it's quicker and around now, if the rain is
falling wherever you live, is a good time. So is spring as the ground
starts to warm up. Obviously, drought conditions are not ideal. The ground
must be well prepared and you can't walk on the turf for around 3 weeks. I
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

3 weeks? I seeded a new lawn (on new topsoil) just 3 weeks last Sunday.
I now lose the cats in it, and may have to give it a trim (if we have a
dry day or two).....cost? £15 for 100 square metres.

Old 05-09-2006, 11:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5/9/06 16:39, in article
, "Phil"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 4/9/06 22:18, in article
, "Newshound"
wrote:

When can / should I do this? I expect I shall be told I should seed it, but
I don't make the decisions.....

If you can afford to turf, it's quicker and around now, if the rain is
falling wherever you live, is a good time. So is spring as the ground
starts to warm up. Obviously, drought conditions are not ideal. The ground
must be well prepared and you can't walk on the turf for around 3 weeks. I
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

3 weeks? I seeded a new lawn (on new topsoil) just 3 weeks last Sunday.
I now lose the cats in it, and may have to give it a trim (if we have a
dry day or two).....cost? £15 for 100 square metres.

I don't think it's so much the rate at which the grass grows as the bonding
together of the turf with the soil underneath it and the joins in the turf
itself. If you walk on it too soon you disrupt that. Apparently. You're
talking seed, the rest of us are talking turves and the treatment AIUI, is
rather different. Seed is cheaper but takes longer to make a thick and
durable lawn such as turf supplies almost instantly.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Conflicting advice on levelling and turfing my lawn. williamrobb88 Lawns 0 02-05-2007 12:09 PM
Cost of re-turfing a lawn [email protected] United Kingdom 24 08-09-2006 02:52 PM
Lawn turfing Chris United Kingdom 4 10-05-2004 02:07 AM
Decking and turfing - help! have they done it right? xtinexoop United Kingdom 2 08-05-2003 11:44 AM
Re-turfing a lawn Rocket United Kingdom 2 03-03-2003 09:29 AM