GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Paint (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149379-paint.html)

Lionel 05-09-2006 05:04 PM

Paint

Weeders,

Please will somebody advise on what paint to use on cut branches when summer
pruning a dwarf apple tree?

Thanks

Lionel

Chris Hogg 05-09-2006 10:27 PM

Paint

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:04:02 GMT, "Lionel" lionel
wrote:

Weeders,

Please will somebody advise on what paint to use on cut branches when summer
pruning a dwarf apple tree?

Thanks

Lionel

I have no direct experience of your specific question, but my general
understanding is that painting the stumps where branches have been
removed from small trees is no longer recommended. AIUI, it is thought
to cause more harm than good by trapping moisture and allowing fungal
activity to flourish. Again AIUI, the recommendation nowadays is to
leave them open and let the scars heal naturally.

--
Chris

cliff_the_gardener 06-09-2006 12:32 AM

Paint

Lionel
When wound paints are used they are used on large limb cuts - not the
kind of thing you summer prune. Summer prunning is normally reducing
the growth to a couple of leaves on cordons or reducing length on bush
trees.
Chris raises the point that the use of such material has gone out of
fashion for the reason states - yet products such as Vitax Medo do
contain a fungicide so do provide some use. My approach is if I have
used seceteurs then it will heal itself (minor cut). If I have used a
saw - cover it (amputation!)
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire

Lionel 06-09-2006 07:51 AM