Old 20-09-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Who are these urglers?

Uncle Marvo wrote:
I thought the French description of the vachement flat 'at was that of what
we funny English call a 'cow pat'.

I didn't know that. See, learning everyday.

Anyhow, il y a ces deux vaches. La premiere dit a la deuxieme, "qu'est-ce
que c'est que vous pensez de la vache folle?" Et la deuxieme reponds "il ne
m'inquiet pas; je suis un canard.".

LOL! Cute. Once I gave a pun to Sacha, and she thought I was rude,
again. Well, it was in French .... I had written, after a long mad
thread with lots of dispute, 'Les jardiniers ont la chair a fleur de
pot'. The secret is in the last word.

I think that's how you spell "canard".

Oh yes - don't you worry and I'm not even going there.

Heard this one the other day: what do you call a french man wearing
sandals?

Phillipe Flop.

Old 20-09-2006, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
It's the Yorkshireman's flat 'at. I don't remember why I bought it,
I'm from Devon originally (God's own County).

o) Reading a wonderful book by Jean Echenoz, and last night the
description of the 'flat hat' by this amazing chap was so hilarious
... well at least it was in French "I'll say perhaps like a pancake,
or perhaps the consistency of a floppy medium sized octopus ... ".
Anyway, I thought of you. There.

I thought the French description of the vachement flat 'at was that
of what we funny English call a 'cow pat'.

Anyhow, il y a ces deux vaches. La premiere dit a la deuxieme,
"qu'est-ce que c'est que vous pensez de la vache folle?" Et la
deuxieme reponds "il ne m'inquiet pas; je suis un canard.".

I think that's how you spell "canard".

;-)

It is indeed :-) Fine French for a Devonman, and thanks for the
giggle.

But rubbish French for someone who worked /en/paris/ for a wee while. I can
tell you the French words for any sort of beer glass now, and anything to do
with Windows, as opposed to windows.

As to your initial proposal, how do we know you didn't post a pic of
your very handsome cousin?

LOL. But why would I want to?

I could post a pic of my bro, he's a few years younger than me. But he has
no hair. I do, as can be seen from another pic [posts another pic]
http://www.backtrack.org/images/DSCF1080.JPG of me at the back of my house.
And yes, I do own another coat, honest :-)

Cat(h) (and can we do the same?)

Only if you /have/ a handsome cousin. Go on ...

Old 20-09-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
The secret's after about the fourth one, to my mind, as I don't know what it
means. The gardeners are shaped like flower pots?

Right. Les jardiniers ont la chair a fleur de pot. To have 'the flesh
(la chair) 'a fleur de peau' = very sensitive. So peau - skin, but
sounds like 'pot' without the 't'. And 'pot' is just like 'pot' in
English. Gawd ... I still know why I wasn't a teacher ;o)

Old 20-09-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote
Is that a French beret lurking under there?

It's the Yorkshireman's flat 'at. I don't remember why I bought it, I'm
from Devon originally (God's own County).

eh by gum m'lad, grt thyself a prop'r un :~))

Where is this boat of yours and do you garden on deck or is there
land round the mooring?

The boat's on the River Nene (pronounced Nen in Northamptonshire, which is
where it is). Northamptonshire, because of Northampton, is not generallly
thouoght of as a tourist trap but whre I am is possibly one of the most
beautiful places in the whole of England.

Never heard of the Nene but google is my friend - looks nice :~)

I garden both on deck (pelargoniums and herbs) and on the banks, although
I've only been on this mooring since last winter so NOTHING has really been
done yet. That's one reason I'm here, to find out what I need to do! I am
thinking veg and Ipomoea (cos that's what the boat's called and they are
one of my favourite flowers) and maybe some wild stuff to attract bees, cos
where there are a lot of bees there are less wasps :-)

So how much ground do you have available? Maybe you could get an allotment
as well !
We have masses of houseboats here in Holland with HUGE gardens :~)
I have lived in many assorted types of dwelling, and even shortly on a self
built Ferro cement yacht:
http://www.ljconline.nl/indexjennFerro.htm
............till it bankrupted us!

Jenny

Old 20-09-2006, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Pretty much as much as I want and/or can cope with. It's all overgrown, so
if I commandeer it nobody will have a problem. That can't be right,
commandeer, it doesn't look right.

We have masses of houseboats here in Holland with HUGE gardens :~)
I have lived in many assorted types of dwelling, and even shortly on
a self built Ferro cement yacht:
http://www.ljconline.nl/indexjennFerro.htm
...........till it bankrupted us!

Fascinating thing though!

Old 20-09-2006, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 07:35:30 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
My theory is that if people had any idea what the other urglers
looked like it would help towards less misunderstanding.

Agreed
http://www.mirrorproject.com/search/...shull&x=10&y=6

I don't know why I think that, but I think I'm right. I always
think I'm right.

Your right "~)

If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing rigger
boots I will address them differently from someone wearing a
twinset and pearls.

Here is a Marvo pic. It features neither tattoos nor pearls.
http://www.backtrack.org/images/marvo.jpg
I don't normally dress quite like that, I'm usually scruffy. You
may guess why I am wearing whatever it is in that pic.

Leaky deck?
Is that a French beret lurking under there?

Where is this boat of yours and do you garden on deck or is there
land round the mooring?

In Enkhuizen there is a large Dutch barge moored amongst the klippers
The whole stowage of the barge has been converted into a green house.
I was going to take a photo for you at the weekend but forgot.

I'm definitely think of calling a halt to cruising around the cold season,
whence I shall get some wooden boxes of trailing stuff on the roof. And I'm
bringing in the geraniums too, no idea yet exactly where I'm going to put
them, what with Ms Puce organising a party on the boat :-)

Old 20-09-2006, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Mary Fisher writes

"JennyC" wrote in message

You should meet my friend who shall remain nameless "~)
She is the epitimy of Englishness: twin sets, pearls, doilies, apologises
all the time even when not in the wrong "~))

I do the last then wonder why ...

Because we all have to live to close together and in harmony, and that
in the long term is more important than sticking out rigidly for the
rights of our case.
--
Kay
Old 20-09-2006, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Farm1 writes
"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
My theory is that if people had any idea what the other urglers

looked like
it would help towards less misunderstanding.

I don't know why I think that, but I think I'm right. I always think

I'm
right. If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing

rigger boots
I will address them differently from someone wearing a twinset and

pearls.

If you tried doing that where I live then you'd soon find out that the
one's wearing the tats and boots were from the rich and old families
and the ones wearing pearls were the snooty wannabes.

Kate Fox makes a similar point in her book 'Watching the English',
comparing the backgrounds of Shirley Williams and Margaret Thatcher

--
Kay

Old 20-09-2006, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:23:21 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t.net...

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

... If I see someone in a pub covered in tattoos and wearing rigger
boots
I will address them differently from someone wearing a twinset and
pearls.

I haven't seen anyone wearing a twin set, never mind pearls, for years!
Mary

You should meet my friend who shall remain nameless "~)
She is the epitimy of Englishness: twin sets, pearls, doilies, apologises
all the time even when not in the wrong "~))

Last seen holding a door open in V&Ds?
Martin

V&D ????
Je bedoelt Bijenkorf :~)
Jenny

Old 20-09-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

What were they growing ??
Typical Dutch wed ?
Jenny "~)

Old 20-09-2006, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote

I'm definitely think of calling a halt to cruising around the cold season,
whence I shall get some wooden boxes of trailing stuff on the roof. And
I'm bringing in the geraniums too, no idea yet exactly where I'm going to
put them, what with Ms Puce organising a party on the boat :-)

Get yourself an extension:
http://www.bigfoto.com/europe/nether...house-boat.jpg

Jenny

Old 21-09-2006, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:

[...]

forgot. Martin

What were they growing ??