Old 20-09-2006, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lawn spiking. Does anyone know What & where we hire one from?

Hi, My gardening book says its lawn month. We have raked it & the book
says it should be spiked & the holes filled with sand.
Our lawn is 17m x 15m and I think it will take ages to do with a hand
fork as it suggests.

Can such a thing be hired?
Does anyone know what the name of the machine is called?

Am I being too lazy, should I do it with my garden fork?

Thanks

Old 20-09-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi, My gardening book says its lawn month. We have raked it & the book
says it should be spiked & the holes filled with sand.
Our lawn is 17m x 15m and I think it will take ages to do with a hand
fork as it suggests.

Can such a thing be hired?
Does anyone know what the name of the machine is called?

Am I being too lazy, should I do it with my garden fork?

You can do it many ways, including your fork, but it's a big lawn for that.
You could walk up and down it inn high heels, that would work. But you
should probably hire a lawn aerator from your local tool hire place.

Steve

Old 20-09-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

But you
should probably hire a lawn aerator from your local tool hire place.

Thanks for that advice Steve. Having done a quick search on Google I
have found one thats £70 per day to hire. It seems a bit expensive,
but is that what i should expect to pay?

Thanks
Old 20-09-2006, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
But you
should probably hire a lawn aerator from your local tool hire place.

Thanks for that advice Steve. Having done a quick search on Google I
have found one thats £70 per day to hire. It seems a bit expensive,
but is that what i should expect to pay?

Thanks

Errr, I don't know, my lawn is the size of a postage stamp so I've never
hired one. Maybe several of you could get together to split the cost, and
have a mass lawn spiking day?

Steve

Old 21-09-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"tina" wrote in message
But you
should probably hire a lawn aerator from your local tool hire place.

Thanks for that advice Steve. Having done a quick search on Google I
have found one thats £70 per day to hire. It seems a bit expensive,
but is that what i should expect to pay?

Thanks

Errr, I don't know, my lawn is the size of a postage stamp so I've
never hired one. Maybe several of you could get together to split the
cost, and have a mass lawn spiking day?

http://www.tvtoolhire.co.uk/pricelist/heating.html

7 squid for a day. That's what you expect to pay, obviously they'll want a
refundable deposit.

All they are is a roller with spikes on, sometimes a very heavy one,
sometimes fillable with water so they are easy to transport. I've used one
donkey's years ago and it was quick and easy. However, it didn't seem to do
much good :-)

Worms are better. I don't know how you encourage worms to get under your
lawn but I bet somebody here does.

Old 21-09-2006, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Worms are better. I don't know how you encourage worms to get under your
lawn but I bet somebody here does.

Well, if you spread compost/muck over the garden then the worms pull it all
down. (So I am led to understand) Sooooo, if you sift your compost so it is
nice and fine and then sprinkle that all over the lawn and do that a few
times, then the worms will pull it down. No I don't mean a layer 6 inches
deep so you cannot see the grass, but sufficient for it to go down between
the blades of grass with a fine raking :-)) ???

No?

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 21-09-2006, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
Hi, My gardening book says its lawn month. We have raked it & the book
says it should be spiked & the holes filled with sand.
Our lawn is 17m x 15m and I think it will take ages to do with a hand
fork as it suggests.

Can such a thing be hired?
Does anyone know what the name of the machine is called?

Am I being too lazy, should I do it with my garden fork?

Thanks

worms are bad if they are the casting type as this will damage the level of
your lawn.
Also putting down organic matter is bad advice as this will just build up a
thatch layer and cause problems.
If your lawn is small you can buy(argos)spiked shoes that fit over your
normal shoes they are relativly cheap .
Wouldnt worry too much with the sand idea unless you have severe drainage
problems.
Failing that ask your local groundsman if he will spike it for you.
Good luck

Old 21-09-2006, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pied piper wrote:
worms are bad if they are the casting type as this will damage the level of
your lawn.
Also putting down organic matter is bad advice as this will just build up a
thatch layer and cause problems.
If your lawn is small you can buy(argos)spiked shoes that fit over your
normal shoes they are relativly cheap .
Wouldnt worry too much with the sand idea unless you have severe drainage
problems.
Failing that ask your local groundsman if he will spike it for you.
Good luck

Pogo stick with the rubber bit taken off? :-)

I've only ever seen hollow tining on golf greens. Never on tees or
anywhere else so unless there's some drainage problem I'm not really
sure it does an awful lot of good.

Old 21-09-2006, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"tina" wrote in message
[...]

They're already there. If you don't believe me, water a patch of lawn and
cover it overnight with a plastic sheet, or even a bit of carpet. Lift it
in the morning and you'll find them.

Old 21-09-2006, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
this in , I, Marvo, say :

"tina" wrote in message
[...]

Excellent. Then remove the cover, wait for the worms to go back down, no
need for the spiker!

Old 21-09-2006, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say :

"tina" wrote in message
[...]

Or £70 for a presumably motorised one if you move on down to the bottom
of the page.

How much is saving your time worth to you?

--
Kay
Old 22-09-2006, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
this in , I, Marvo, say :

"tina" wrote in message
[...]

If I wanted to save time I'd pay someone else to do it!

Keeps you fit :-)