GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Nasty thing in the soil (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149796-nasty-thing-soil.html)

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 21-09-2006 09:31 PM

Nasty thing in the soil

I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type things.
They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly quickly. They had a
small head and many pairs of legs and the little beasts had devoured a
majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

La Puce 21-09-2006 11:27 PM

Nasty thing in the soil

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots

The roots?! That type of nasturtium has tubers.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 21-09-2006 11:47 PM

Nasty thing in the soil

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots

The roots?! That type of nasturtium has tubers.

They had scoffed the hairy root bits coming off the long tubers.

La Puce 22-09-2006 12:01 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
They had scoffed the hairy root bits coming off the long tubers.

I've had lots of wireworms this year in only one section of my spuds
crop. I wonder ...

Uncle Marvo 22-09-2006 08:36 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

, I, Marvo, say :

I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type
things. They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly quickly.
They had a small head and many pairs of legs and the little beasts
had devoured a majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

Many legged millipede type things are often millipedes. Are you sure they
weren't? Were they semi-transparent (translucent) or coloured in any way?

michael adams[_2_] 22-09-2006 09:00 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type things.
They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly quickly. They had a
small head and many pairs of legs and the little beasts had devoured a
majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

These chaps ?

http://www.gaipm.org/top50/wireworms.html

Although they only have three pairs of legs each, if there are
enough of them all gathered together in one place, it might
resemble a mass of legs.

michael adams

Bioboffin 22-09-2006 09:25 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type
things. They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly quickly.
They had a small head and many pairs of legs and the little beasts
had devoured a majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

Could they be Symphilids? See link:

http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/symphyla.php

Although this link is for a New Zealand site, there are certainly billions
of Symphids in the UK too.

--

John

Uncle Marvo 22-09-2006 09:35 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type
things. They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly quickly.
They had a small head and many pairs of legs and the little beasts
had devoured a majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

Could they be Symphilids? See link:

http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/symphyla.php

Although this link is for a New Zealand site, there are certainly billions
of Symphids in the UK too.

That's thing I thought he saw. Translucent, so you can see the alimentary
..... yeuk. Isn't a millipede a symphid?

Bioboffin 22-09-2006 09:35 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

Uncle Marvo wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type
things. They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly quickly.
They had a small head and many pairs of legs and the little beasts
had devoured a majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

Could they be Symphilids? See link:

http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/symphyla.php

Although this link is for a New Zealand site, there are certainly
billions of Symphids in the UK too.

That's thing I thought he saw. Translucent, so you can see the
alimentary .... yeuk. Isn't a millipede a symphid?

No they are different classes of the superclass Myriapoda.

Diplopoda = millipedes
Centipedes = chilopoda
Symphylids = symphyla

--

John

Bioboffin 22-09-2006 09:37 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

Bioboffin wrote:
Uncle Marvo wrote:

That's thing I thought he saw. Translucent, so you can see the
alimentary .... yeuk. Isn't a millipede a symphid?

No they are different classes of the superclass Myriapoda.

Diplopoda = millipedes
Centipedes = chilopoda
Symphylids = symphyla

Let's try that again:

Diplopoda = millipedes
Chilopoda = centipedes
Symphyla = symphilids

:-)

Bioboffin 22-09-2006 09:39 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

Uncle Marvo wrote:
in , I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type
things. They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly
quickly. They had a small head and many pairs of legs and the
little beasts had devoured a majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

Could they be Symphilids? See link:

http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/symphyla.php

Although this link is for a New Zealand site, there are certainly
billions of Symphids in the UK too.

That's thing I thought he saw. Translucent, so you can see the
alimentary .... yeuk. Isn't a millipede a symphid?

No they are different classes of the superclass Myriapoda.

Diplopoda = millipedes
Centipedes = chilopoda
Symphylids = symphyla

Ah. Still yeuk.

Centipedes are desirable in the garden, because they are carnivores and eat
the herbivores (which are eating the plants). I guess some Symphylids are
too.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 22-09-2006 11:21 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

"michael adams" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type things.
They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly quickly. They had a
small head and many pairs of legs and the little beasts had devoured a
majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

These chaps ?

http://www.gaipm.org/top50/wireworms.html

Although they only have three pairs of legs each, if there are
enough of them all gathered together in one place, it might
resemble a mass of legs.

michael adams

Perhaps-but the bodies were much thinner--almost as thin as cotton.
I suppose it depends on their age--we all fill out a bit as we get older.

Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) 22-09-2006 11:26 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
I dug up a tropaeolum ciliatum
that was withering and near death.
The roots were covered in small white thread like millipede type
things. They were about 1/2 inch long and could move fairly quickly.
They had a small head and many pairs of legs and the little beasts
had devoured a majority of the roots.
An ideas what this pest is??

Could they be Symphilids? See link:

http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/symphyla.php

Although this link is for a New Zealand site, there are certainly billions
of Symphids in the UK too.

--

John

Not certain -but the bodies of the things I saw were like threads of cotton.
I suppose they could be the very young ones.
I admit with deep shame that I was that alarmed that I dropped the trowel
and the plant. When or if I find more I will get a photo before I squash
them

Bioboffin 22-09-2006 11:28 AM

Nasty thing in the soil

Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
"Bioboffin" wrote in message
Rupert (W.Yorkshire) wrote:
[...]

They are not that easy to identify - you really need a microscope.