GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Good supplier of dwarf fruit trees? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149801-good-supplier-dwarf-fruit-trees.html)

Ninette 22-09-2006 12:06 PM

Good supplier of dwarf fruit trees?

Our dream is to have 3 or 4 fruit trees in our small garden (we live
in Somerset). They'd have to be small in size though, kind of dwarf,
so that we wouldn't get overwhelmed by them. I'm finding it difficult
to spot a supplier on the web and I'd so appreciate a suggestion of
where to find a good nursery who'd stock such things.

--
Ninette

La Puce 22-09-2006 12:45 PM

Ninette wrote:
Our dream is to have 3 or 4 fruit trees in our small garden (we live
in Somerset). They'd have to be small in size though, kind of dwarf,
so that we wouldn't get overwhelmed by them. I'm finding it difficult
to spot a supplier on the web and I'd so appreciate a suggestion of
where to find a good nursery who'd stock such things.

Well, in the apple section there is: Bernwodeplants.co.uk and
brogdale.org.

Tim C. 22-09-2006 12:54 PM

Good supplier of dwarf fruit trees?

Following up to Ninette :

Our dream is to have 3 or 4 fruit trees in our small garden (we live
in Somerset). They'd have to be small in size though, kind of dwarf,
so that we wouldn't get overwhelmed by them. I'm finding it difficult
to spot a supplier on the web and I'd so appreciate a suggestion of
where to find a good nursery who'd stock such things.

Springfield nursery in the ROI supply coronets (about 2m tall max) to the
UK and via mail -order.
I've had 4 from them posted to Austria no problem.
http://www.coronet.ie/detailed.html

--
Tim C.

cineman 22-09-2006 09:44 PM

Good supplier of dwarf fruit trees?

probably too late with this link but take a look here

http://www.kenmuir.co.uk/productsRan...tID=1&subID=95

Many garden centres sell minarette apple trees
regards
Cineman

ssage ...

Ninette 23-09-2006 07:34 AM

Good supplier of dwarf fruit trees?

Thanks, folks - it's all been very useful feedback.
The Minarette type sounds particularly interesting for the variety of
fruits on offer.

Very grateful to you all.
--
Ninette

hzatph 23-09-2006 01:30 PM

Ninette wrote in message
Our dream is to have 3 or 4 fruit trees in our small garden (we live
in Somerset). They'd have to be small in size though, kind of dwarf,
so that we wouldn't get overwhelmed by them. I'm finding it difficult
to spot a supplier on the web and I'd so appreciate a suggestion of
where to find a good nursery who'd stock such things.

--
Ninette

Try here http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/ buy bare rooted plants over the
winter, choosing the appropriate root stock and form for your situation.
Remember to ensure an appropriate combination of species to ensure
pollination. The website will tell you all about these things.

Jim Jackson 25-09-2006 10:34 PM

Ninette wrote:
Thanks, folks - it's all been very useful feedback.
The Minarette type sounds particularly interesting for the variety of
fruits on offer.

You'd be better off growing cordons - your choice of varieties is greater.

Minarette varieties, in my experience, are indifferent apples.

Gill Matthews[_1_] 05-10-2006 11:59 PM

"Jim Jackson" wrote in message
Ninette wrote:
Thanks, folks - it's all been very useful feedback.
The Minarette type sounds particularly interesting for the variety of
fruits on offer.

You'd be better off growing cordons - your choice of varieties is greater.

Minarette varieties, in my experience, are indifferent apples.

Ken Muir offers 15 varieties of minarette in his catalogue including
egremont russet and james grieve. I would be surprised if you could find
nothing to your taste in that collection.

Gill M

Jim Jackson 07-10-2006 04:46 PM

Ninette wrote:
Thanks, folks - it's all been very useful feedback.
The Minarette type sounds particularly interesting for the variety of
fruits on offer.

You'd be better off growing cordons - your choice of varieties is greater.

Minarette varieties, in my experience, are indifferent apples.

Ken Muir offers 15 varieties of minarette in his catalogue including
egremont russet and james grieve. I would be surprised if you could find
nothing to your taste in that collection.

Yes but the root stock has an affect on the expression of the variety, so
I repeat "Minarette varieties, in my experience, are indifferent apples".

Gill Matthews[_1_] 07-10-2006 08:41 PM

Ninette wrote:
Thanks, folks - it's all been very useful feedback.
The Minarette type sounds particularly interesting for the variety of
fruits on offer.

You'd be better off growing cordons - your choice of varieties is
greater.

Minarette varieties, in my experience, are indifferent apples.

Ken Muir offers 15 varieties of minarette in his catalogue including
egremont russet and james grieve. I would be surprised if you could find
nothing to your taste in that collection.

Yes but the root stock has an affect on the expression of the variety, so
I repeat "Minarette varieties, in my experience, are indifferent apples".

Well of course root stock climate soil conditions and the years weather all
have an effect on the expression of the variety, however root stock is far
from the most noticeable of these. In any case the majority of minarette
apples are grown on M26 which is a root stock commonly used for ordinary
shaped small garden trees, cordons and espaliers so you might have trouble
avoiding it any case, unless you were planning to have a 15' + tree in the
garden which would clearly not be suitable in this case.

Gill M