GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garlic bulbs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149832-garlic-bulbs.html)

ajr 23-09-2006 09:52 AM

Garlic bulbs

Good morning,

Apologies in advance, as I know that this question has been posted before by
a few people, including myself! As always I've lost the bookmarks and
Google throws up a baffling amount of links.

My garlic crop was a bit of a disaster this year, so I've decided to stop
using bulbs from the supermarket and buy some 'proper' ones.

I want to plant the bulbs next month and they will be growing in an area
that will be damp / wet over the winter.

Quick questions:

1. The best variety.

2. Recommended seller - preferably one that sells online.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew

Broadback 23-09-2006 10:22 AM

Garlic bulbs

ajr wrote:
Good morning,

Apologies in advance, as I know that this question has been posted before by
a few people, including myself! As always I've lost the bookmarks and
Google throws up a baffling amount of links.

My garlic crop was a bit of a disaster this year, so I've decided to stop
using bulbs from the supermarket and buy some 'proper' ones.

I want to plant the bulbs next month and they will be growing in an area
that will be damp / wet over the winter.

Quick questions:

1. The best variety.

2. Recommended seller - preferably one that sells online.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew

The weather had a lot to do with poor crops, also perhaps as I did last
year, you left them in the ground to long. I've just had mine delivered
from Browns, I always use Isle of Wight.

La Puce 23-09-2006 11:53 AM

Garlic bulbs

ajr wrote:
Good morning,

Glorious morning to you too :o)

I've used Seeds of Italie a couple of years and I'm really happy.

http://www.seedsofitaly.com/catalogue/15

There's a fab garlic, elephant garlic, called Casablanca and Germidour,
both gives huge gloves which are fabulous to roast with (I used some
for my roast pork joint, poking holes in the joint and inserting a
glove - it's amazing the flavour it gives it).

I like Rossa di Sulmona - with a lovely pink colour and the flavour is
not as strong and more subtle than the french garlic. Sometimes I pick
some gloves from garden centres too. This year it's been a bit of a sad
crop for lots of people including me.

They don't like damp condition and I'm worried about your site. Perhaps
you could make a raised bed for them? To maximise your success - plant
some end of october/nov and then again in March.

Bob Hobden 23-09-2006 06:13 PM

Garlic bulbs

Andrew wrote

My garlic crop was a bit of a disaster this year, so I've decided to stop
using bulbs from the supermarket and buy some 'proper' ones.

I want to plant the bulbs next month and they will be growing in an area
that will be damp / wet over the winter.

Quick questions:

1. The best variety.

2. Recommended seller - preferably one that sells online.

I must admit we had an excellent Garlic crop this year, very sunny and hot
and a new allotment not used for 10 years possibly 20 so very fertile, and
always get our "seed" heads from either Marshalls or T & M, whatever they
are selling. Didn't like Elephant Garlic at all when we tried it years ago,
taste is a croos between mild garlic and leek.
Originally we did what you have always done, just bought shop garlic and
planted that, but we tried the proper "seed" one year and never went back to
the ordinary shop stuff.

--
Regards
Bob H

La Puce 23-09-2006 06:17 PM

Garlic bulbs

Bob Hobden wrote:
Didn't like Elephant Garlic at all when we tried it years ago,
taste is a croos between mild garlic and leek.

Arghhhh spit tis gorgeous and all juicy when roasted amongst your
spuds and roasts veges. You haven't lived Bob ;o)

Mike Lyle[_1_] 24-09-2006 03:46 PM

Garlic bulbs

Bob Hobden wrote:
[...]
Originally we did what you have always done, just bought shop garlic and
planted that, but we tried the proper "seed" one year and never went back to
the ordinary shop stuff.

Because, of course, the greengrocer's garlic is almost certainly
imported, so won't be a variety selected for our climate.

--
Mike.

Bob Hobden 24-09-2006 04:36 PM

Garlic bulbs

"La Puce" wrote...

Bob Hobden wrote:
Didn't like Elephant Garlic at all when we tried it years ago,
taste is a croos between mild garlic and leek.

Arghhhh spit tis gorgeous and all juicy when roasted amongst your
spuds and roasts veges. You haven't lived Bob ;o)

Yes we have and we both thought it rather foul. Not one thing or the other.
Would rather have proper garlic or proper leek roasted thank you. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Alan McKenzie 24-09-2006 06:51 PM

Garlic bulbs

Get mine from the Isle of Wight garlic farm - had some elephant garlic last
year which was fine.
This year visited the Emsworth food festival and the Isle of wight Farm had
a stall so bought some garlic to plant about now.
Look at www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk - or e-mail -
Whilst i agree the elephant garlic is a mix of leek and garlic have gone for
another garlic from there stall this year - unfortunately the name escapes
me - sorry.

ajr 02-10-2006 08:08 PM

Garlic bulbs

"ajr" wrote in message
Good morning,

Apologies in advance, as I know that this question has been posted before
by a few people, including myself! As always I've lost the bookmarks and
Google throws up a baffling amount of links.

My garlic crop was a bit of a disaster this year, so I've decided to stop
using bulbs from the supermarket and buy some 'proper' ones.

I want to plant the bulbs next month and they will be growing in an area
that will be damp / wet over the winter.

Quick questions:

1. The best variety.

2. Recommended seller - preferably one that sells online.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew

Many thanks to everyone for the advice - much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew

ajr 07-10-2006 04:23 PM

Garlic bulbs

"ajr" wrote in message
Good morning,

Apologies in advance, as I know that this question has been posted before
by a few people, including myself! As always I've lost the bookmarks and
Google throws up a baffling amount of links.

My garlic crop was a bit of a disaster this year, so I've decided to stop
using bulbs from the supermarket and buy some 'proper' ones.

I want to plant the bulbs next month and they will be growing in an area
that will be damp / wet over the winter.

Quick questions:

1. The best variety.

2. Recommended seller - preferably one that sells online.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Andrew

Many thanks to everyone for the replies - bulbs on order!