GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tomato weight (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149833-tomato-weight.html)

julie 23-09-2006 05:50 PM

tomato weight

does anyone know the weight of the heaviest tomato grown in the uk
i have one down my allotment thats around two kilo`s and the heaviest tomato
at the royal bath and west amature gardening show was 1.4 kilo`s

i just gotta know

bill

Broadback 23-09-2006 05:57 PM

tomato weight

julie wrote:
does anyone know the weight of the heaviest tomato grown in the uk
i have one down my allotment thats around two kilo`s and the heaviest tomato
at the royal bath and west amature gardening show was 1.4 kilo`s

i just gotta know

bill

I can't stand boasters, unless I can top them! ;-(

JennyC 24-09-2006 10:59 AM

tomato weight

"julie" wrote in message
does anyone know the weight of the heaviest tomato grown in the uk
i have one down my allotment thats around two kilo`s and the heaviest
tomato
at the royal bath and west amature gardening show was 1.4 kilo`s

i just gotta know
bill

Wikipedia has this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato)
The heaviest tomato ever was one of 3.51 kg (7 lb 12 oz), of the cultivar
'Delicious', grown by Gordon Graham of Edmond, Oklahoma, in 1986. The
largest tomato plant grown was of the cultivar 'Sungold' and reached 19.8 m
(65 ft) length, grown by Nutriculture Ltd (UK) of Mawdesley, Lancashire, UK,
in 2000.

Seed for type mentioned above:
http://www.seedfest.co.uk/seeds/tomatoes/big/big.html

Found this via google: http://tinyurl.com/l9jsa
Heaviest tomato grown in Britain, by R Burrows of Huddersfield: 2.54kg (51b
6oz)
(pers. comm. Geoff Hodge, Garden News)

HTH
Jenny