GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   East Ruston Old Vicarage (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/149934-east-ruston-old-vicarage.html)

Saxman 27-09-2006 06:45 PM

East Ruston Old Vicarage

I am thinking of visiting East Ruston Old Vicarage, Norfolk next year
with several others. Has anybody any opinions of the gardens?

TIA

Sue[_3_] 28-09-2006 01:38 PM

East Ruston Old Vicarage

"Saxman" wrote
I am thinking of visiting East Ruston Old Vicarage, Norfolk next year
with several others. Has anybody any opinions of the gardens?

Yes, I went there about three years ago in late summer and enjoyed my
visit. I keep meaning to pay a return trip earlier in the season, and
they've apparently been developing new areas since I went so it's
probably even better now. It's a bit off the beaten track iirc, so check
out the directions and take a good map. :-)

There was certainly a lot to see, but two areas that have particularly
stuck in my memory are a little walled courtyard at the entrance where
they had some large purple Aeoniums planted out that apparently live
outside all year, and the colourful 'desert wash' garden. They also had
a plant sales area which I remember as having some less usual varieties
at very reasonable prices. I think it's definitely worth a visit - there
are some good pictures on the website at
www.e-ruston-oldvicaragegardens.co.uk/ .

Alan Gray, one of the owners, also writes an informative gardening page
for the local Eastern Daily Press weekend mag which I always enjoy
reading.

--
Sue

Saxman 28-09-2006 01:57 PM

East Ruston Old Vicarage

Sue wrote:

Alan Gray, one of the owners, also writes an informative gardening page
for the local Eastern Daily Press weekend mag which I always enjoy
reading.

Thanks for the useful feedback.