Old 27-09-2006, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default plum tree hard resin on branch

Dear Group

I have victoria plum tree that has fruited well this year and is about 10
years old.

On one of the minor branches about 12mm thick i have noiticed has some hard
resin (approximatley brown in colour) at two points along the same branch.

Has anyone any idea what this is, course of treatment?

Iain

Old 27-09-2006, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Iain" wrote in message
Dear Group

I have victoria plum tree that has fruited well this year and is about 10
years old.

On one of the minor branches about 12mm thick i have noiticed has some

hard
resin (approximatley brown in colour) at two points along the same branch.

Has anyone any idea what this is, course of treatment?

Iain

I've got a cherry tree which has been exuding gum from pruned areas
for a number of years with no ill effects. ISTR getting gum on some
of the actual plums on a Victoria plum a few years ago, again with
no ill effect. However -

quote

Gummosis is a general, nonspecific condition of stone fruits (peach,
nectarine, plum and cherry) in which gum is exuded and deposited on
the bark of trees. Gum is produced in response to any type of wound,
regardless of whether it is due to insects, mechanical injury or disease.
Gummosis most commonly occurs as a result of perennial canker, bacterial
canker and the peach tree borer. However, gummosis can also be associated
with Botryosphaeria cankers, certain viruses, adverse growing sites,
winter damage, herbicide damage and many other factors.

quote

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:e...n&ct=clnk&cd=7

If it's only on the one branch then there's probably no cause to worry
overmuch.

michael adams

Old 27-09-2006, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Iain" writes:

| I have victoria plum tree that has fruited well this year and is about 10
| years old.
|
| On one of the minor branches about 12mm thick i have noiticed has some hard
| resin (approximatley brown in colour) at two points along the same branch.
|
| Has anyone any idea what this is, course of treatment?

It's a response to bark damage - often rubbing, or similar. Unless
the damage is major, the treatment is to leave it alone.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.