GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Naff potatoes disposal ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150003-naff-potatoes-disposal.html)

Broadback 30-09-2006 11:13 AM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes
growing where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

Mary Fisher 30-09-2006 12:11 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to peel
the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes growing where
they were planted the previous year is pain enough without exacerbating
the problem.

Don't bother peeling them, boil them whole and serve with a bit of butter.
Delicious!

Mary

Sacha[_1_] 30-09-2006 02:23 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

On 30/9/06 11:13, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes
growing where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

But those are the best kind! When they're the very early new potatoes
coming up tiny, they're called chats in Jersey. Don't even think of peeling
them. Roast them with rosemary and coarse salt. Wonderful!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Broadback 30-09-2006 02:41 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

wrote:

Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes
growing where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

But those are the best kind! When they're the very early new potatoes
coming up tiny, they're called chats in Jersey. Don't even think of peeling
them. Roast them with rosemary and coarse salt. Wonderful!

These are main crop potatoes, of which this year I have lots of small
ones, I know earlies are delightful when small, but does this also apply
to main crop?

David \(in Normandy\) 30-09-2006 03:05 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

wrote:

Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes
growing where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

But those are the best kind! When they're the very early new potatoes
coming up tiny, they're called chats in Jersey. Don't even think of
peeling
them. Roast them with rosemary and coarse salt. Wonderful!

These are main crop potatoes, of which this year I have lots of small
ones, I know earlies are delightful when small, but does this also apply
to main crop?

We do! All the potatoes that are too small to bother peeling we simply leave
in soak for a little while to loosen any soil, then inspect each one for any
insect holes. They boil up lovely with their skins on - even the pea sized
ones. And as someone else said served with a little butter are delicious.
Any leftovers are nice the following day too - simply fried gently in a
little butter to warm them up and brown them a little. Yummy!
--
David
.... Email address on website

Mary Fisher 30-09-2006 04:10 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

"David (in Normandy)" wrote in
message ...

wrote:

[...]

Warmed up with some unpeeled garlic cloves ... drool

Mary

Alan Holmes 30-09-2006 04:34 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes growing
where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

Don't bother peeling them, boil them whole and serve with a bit of butter.
Delicious!

Hear, hear, or chould it be here, here?

Alan

Mary

Lionel 30-09-2006 05:12 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes

It's adviseable not to compost them or peelings from others.

Lionel

JennyC 30-09-2006 05:19 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to peel
the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes growing where
they were planted the previous year is pain enough without exacerbating
the problem.

Fry or boil them in their skins !!
Jenny

Sacha[_1_] 30-09-2006 05:25 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

On 30/9/06 14:41, in article , "Broadback"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 30/9/06 11:13, in article
, "Broadback"
wrote:

Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes
growing where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

But those are the best kind! When they're the very early new potatoes
coming up tiny, they're called chats in Jersey. Don't even think of peeling
them. Roast them with rosemary and coarse salt. Wonderful!

These are main crop potatoes, of which this year I have lots of small
ones, I know earlies are delightful when small, but does this also apply
to main crop?

I've tried it and enjoyed it so I think you probably will!

Alan Holmes 30-09-2006 05:51 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Lionel" lionel wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes

It's adviseable not to compost them or peelings from others.

Why not?

Alan

Lionel

Broadback 30-09-2006 06:00 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

JennyC wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to peel
the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes growing where
they were planted the previous year is pain enough without exacerbating
the problem.

Fry or boil them in their skins !!
Jenny

Thanks all for your culinary tips, you live and learn, I thought (silly
me) that only "new" potatoes could be treated that way.

Cat(h) 02-10-2006 01:05 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to
peel the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes growing
where they were planted the previous year is pain enough without
exacerbating the problem.

Don't bother peeling them, boil them whole and serve with a bit of butter.
Delicious!

Hear, hear, or chould it be here, here?

Alan

I thought we'd established that... though I can't quite recall *what*
we'd established.

Cat(h)

Cat(h) 02-10-2006 01:48 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

Broadback wrote:
JennyC wrote:
"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes that I have this year, without them
sprouting up like weeds where I apply the compost? My wife refuses to peel
the marble sized ones, let alone the pea sizes! :-) Potatoes growing where
they were planted the previous year is pain enough without exacerbating
the problem.

Fry or boil them in their skins !!
Jenny

Thanks all for your culinary tips, you live and learn, I thought (silly
me) that only "new" potatoes could be treated that way.

Silly you indeed :-) Some of us pay extortionate money to purchase
750g bags of tiny spuds, which are lovely put into the oven with the
sunday roast (in a separate dish), tossed in olive oil, coarse salt and
pepper, and with sprigs of rosemary - I think someone has already
suggested it.
Well scrubbed, the skins are quite edible. For what it's worth, I
always eat the skin of my boiled spuds, even big main season ones.

Cat(h)

Cat(h) 02-10-2006 02:08 PM

Naff potatoes disposal ?

"Broadback" wrote in message
Can I compost all the small potatoes

It's adviseable not to compost them or peelings from others.

Why not?

Because they do sprout in compost? I had loads of potato and tomato
seedlings in my garden, which got there via my compost heap. Franky,
they are among the easiest weeds to pull, and I have even left a few to
do their thing - got about 500 grs worth of toms from a few of them...
I haven't lifted the couple of spuds yet.

Cat(h)