GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Can anyone identify this plant ??? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/150004-can-anyone-identify-plant.html)

Treeza 30-09-2006 11:20 AM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I've selected an appropriate group.
I have a wierd plant which has taken up residence in my garden. It
grew from seed, probably dropped by the birds, and I've not been able
to identify it so far...

It's about 18 inches high so far (grown from seed this year), and has a
prickly fruit and white flower with a very broad leaf.

You can see pictures of the plant here ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t...zrOlFB38HXVEVt

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Treeza.

K 30-09-2006 11:35 AM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

Treeza writes
Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I've selected an appropriate group.
I have a wierd plant which has taken up residence in my garden. It
grew from seed, probably dropped by the birds, and I've not been able
to identify it so far...

It's about 18 inches high so far (grown from seed this year), and has a
prickly fruit and white flower with a very broad leaf.

You can see pictures of the plant here ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t....com/album?.di
r=/a7b0re2&.src=ph&.tok=phzrOlFB38HXVEVt

Well, it's proving impossibly long to download for me. Try Googling on
images of Thornapple. That's by far the most common 'wierd plant' that
we get asked about ;-)

--
Kay

Treeza 30-09-2006 11:35 AM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

If that URL to te photos doesn't work below, try this one ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t.../ph//my_photos

Keith Kent 30-09-2006 12:07 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

"K" wrote in message
Treeza writes
Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I've selected an appropriate group.
I have a wierd plant which has taken up residence in my garden. It
grew from seed, probably dropped by the birds, and I've not been able
to identify it so far...

It's about 18 inches high so far (grown from seed this year), and has a
prickly fruit and white flower with a very broad leaf.

You can see pictures of the plant here ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t....com/album?.di
r=/a7b0re2&.src=ph&.tok=phzrOlFB38HXVEVt

Well, it's proving impossibly long to download for me. Try Googling on
images of Thornapple. That's by far the most common 'wierd plant' that we
get asked about ;-)

--
Kay

Downloads no problems your links work fine,i dont know what the plant? is
though.
Keith

Mary Fisher 30-09-2006 12:10 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

"Keith Kent" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Treeza writes
Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I've selected an appropriate group.
I have a wierd plant which has taken up residence in my garden. It
grew from seed, probably dropped by the birds, and I've not been able
to identify it so far...

It's about 18 inches high so far (grown from seed this year), and has a
prickly fruit and white flower with a very broad leaf.

You can see pictures of the plant here ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t....com/album?.di
r=/a7b0re2&.src=ph&.tok=phzrOlFB38HXVEVt

Well, it's proving impossibly long to download for me. Try Googling on
images of Thornapple. That's by far the most common 'wierd plant' that we
get asked about ;-)

--
Kay

Downloads no problems your links work fine,i dont know what the plant? is
though.

Same here, on both counts. It's very attractive though :-)

Mary
Keith

Treeza 30-09-2006 12:33 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

K wrote:
Treeza writes
Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I've selected an appropriate group.
I have a wierd plant which has taken up residence in my garden. It
grew from seed, probably dropped by the birds, and I've not been able
to identify it so far...

It's about 18 inches high so far (grown from seed this year), and has a
prickly fruit and white flower with a very broad leaf.

You can see pictures of the plant here ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t....com/album?.di
r=/a7b0re2&.src=ph&.tok=phzrOlFB38HXVEVt

Well, it's proving impossibly long to download for me. Try Googling on
images of Thornapple. That's by far the most common 'wierd plant' that
we get asked about ;-)

--
Kay

Hi Kay - thanks for that. Not bad, identifying without even seeing
it!! Actually, it look a bit like Thornapple, but not exactly the same
- perhaps there are different varieties?? Try this link to see my
pictures - I've uploaded to a new image share as Yahoo seems a bit
temperamental.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/treeza_02/

Des Higgins 30-09-2006 01:54 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

"Treeza" wrote in message
oups.com...

K wrote:
Treeza writes
[...]

There are loads of varieties; prickly fruit and trumpet shaped flowers
usually mean thornapple (Datura)

Sacha[_1_] 30-09-2006 02:19 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

On 30/9/06 11:35, in article , "K"
wrote:

Treeza writes
Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I've selected an appropriate group.
I have a wierd plant which has taken up residence in my garden. It
grew from seed, probably dropped by the birds, and I've not been able
to identify it so far...

It's about 18 inches high so far (grown from seed this year), and has a
prickly fruit and white flower with a very broad leaf.

You can see pictures of the plant here ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t....com/album?.di
r=/a7b0re2&.src=ph&.tok=phzrOlFB38HXVEVt

Well, it's proving impossibly long to download for me. Try Googling on
images of Thornapple. That's by far the most common 'wierd plant' that
we get asked about ;-)

And that's exactly what it is!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Treeza 30-09-2006 02:26 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

Sacha wrote:
On 30/9/06 11:35, in article , "K"
wrote:

Treeza writes
[...]

Thanks to all who posted.
Looks like I have this one nailed.
Can't imagine how it came into the garden though - the seeds look too
big for birds to have brought it in.

K 30-09-2006 02:28 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

"Treeza" wrote in message
roups.com...

Hi Kay - thanks for that. Not bad, identifying without even seeing
it!!

The description plus the 'weird' was characteristic.

Actually, it look a bit like Thornapple, but not exactly the same
- perhaps there are different varieties?? Try this link to see my
pictures - I've uploaded to a new image share as Yahoo seems a bit
temperamental.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n171/treeza_02/

That's a thornapple.
--
Kay

K 30-09-2006 02:30 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

Keith Kent writes

Datura ?

Yes, that's right. Datura stramonium = thornapple. Poisonous. . Lovely
plant, as are many daturas.

--
Kay

Phil L 30-09-2006 04:30 PM

Treeza wrote:
Hi all, I'm new here so I hope I've selected an appropriate group.
I have a wierd plant which has taken up residence in my garden. It
grew from seed, probably dropped by the birds, and I've not been able
to identify it so far...

It's about 18 inches high so far (grown from seed this year), and has
a prickly fruit and white flower with a very broad leaf.

You can see pictures of the plant here ...

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/m.t...zrOlFB38HXVEVt

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

Treeza.

Stramonium. Datura. Devil's Apple. Jamestown-weed. Jimson-weed. Stinkweed.
Devil's Trumpet. Apple of Peru.

halucagenic, causing dizziness, drowsyness, nausea, coma and death, so don't
eat the fruit, nor any other part of it for that matter, the seeds being the
worst culprit for causing death, but the rest of the plant is used in herbal
medicine, but I wouldn't try any of this at home:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/t/thorna12.html

[email protected] 30-09-2006 06:14 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

The thornapple is a bitter narcotic plant that relieves pain and
encourages healing. It has a long history of use as a herbal medicine,
though it is very poisonous and should be used with extreme caution.

Leslie 30-09-2006 06:21 PM

Can anyone identify this plant ???

Its a Datura and very poisonous

oups.com...